Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 14th March 2023, 02:35 AM   #1
JoeCanada42

this one just arrived today, anyone with some thoughts, or ideas about the sigil please share, thanks
Attached Images

Old 14th March 2023, 02:37 AM   #2
JoeCanada42

thanks
Attached Images

Old 14th March 2023, 08:27 AM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

A letter opener ?
Old 14th March 2023, 04:27 PM   #4
JoeCanada42

well yes, and that's what it was sold to me as
but I suspect a very old one, or a home made one...

the sigil marking adds some mystery and I think helps support the fact it is more than just a letter opener
antique letter openers on their own are quite collectable, but there is a market as well for bronze/ brass athames. I have read and heard of many wiccans that start with a letter opener...
magic enchantment wont stick to iron, but copper alloys are good, much better for a wand or dowsing rod...
also for working with the Fae or Aos Si or anything offended by iron.
I did look at every brass bronze athame (& letter openers) I could find. this one spoke to me as being genuine. I suspect something like this would be used in magical treasure hunting, the sigil seems to look like a "money attraction symbol"
it didn't cost much and there is a lot of upside to the gamble, something like this could be very old, or could be made out of special alloys,

maybe it just looks like a letter opener partly on purpose for many reasons you may not want family or authorities to find out you practice magic or magic treasure hunting even, which I understand was quite popular.

currently I am almost done reading : Magical Treasure Hunting in Europe and North America by Johannes Dillinger, quite interesting., thought I would read it and maybe find some info , seems I don't need the magic, I seem to have the tools and treasures coming my way anyway .

I think maybe someone made a copy of a letter opener to produce there own athame? and definitely looks old...
Old 14th March 2023, 06:22 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

I don't think that, uploading a pile of (25) pictures of this item, will help rejecting the idea that this is a crude decorative article or a utensil like a letter opener. A modern one, by the way.
Old 14th March 2023, 08:35 PM   #6
JoeCanada42

well I think the photos show the evidence for methods of manufacture(file marks on blade and handle..), the age, and wear/damage and the patina, also the photos can help with figuring out the sigil and imagery on the guard.

everyone is entitled to an opinion, I know the odds are not in my favor but given the evidence I see I will hold out and keep researching.

do you have any evidence to support you feelings on the piece?
would be helpful...

sorry if you want me to post less photos,,,... I thought people would appreciate more photos...I always wish people would post more photos
tell me if u think I don't need so many photos in the future

"I don't think that, uploading a pile of (25) pictures of this item, will help rejecting the idea that this is a crude decorative article or a utensil like a letter opener. A modern one, by the way."---I think you used a double negative, not Shure if I need to disagree with you lol

more photos are to help prove its old, less photos of low quality would deceive
more photos to help prove its old or not either way...

please elaborate if you can why modern in your view...

Its definitely has got some peculiar art on the guard that has been calling out to me, and I think its finally spoken to me, and given me a connection worth looking at.
maybe just coincidence the similarity.... maybe not?
Attached Images

Closed Thread