Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th April 2023, 10:03 AM   #1
kronckew

Default Afghan military sword

Just recently acquired this sword at a UK Auction. No dimensions at the moment.
It appears to have a T-section spine for most of the slightly curved blade, much like a std. Khyber knife. The blade is double-edged from the point for a significant distance, appears to have a short raised yelman... The steel grip appears to have white scales between the rusted pommel and bolster sections. Possibly bone or other hard animal material. Scabbard sadly lacking.

More details, any markings, and measurements to follow on arrival...
Any comments welcome with thanks...
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2023, 05:09 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

The blade form is very remiscent of the double fullered sabre blade that is often seen on many of these military swords. Will you restore it Wayne?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2023, 02:02 PM   #3
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
The blade form is very remiscent of the double fullered sabre blade that is often seen on many of these military swords. Will you restore it Wayne?
Yes, have some white camel bone knife scales on order to replace the apparently missing pieces. Sword is due in a couple days, I'll know more then. Hope the unseen side is OK. if not i'll restore it as well. Gives me something to do.
Old 13th April 2023, 01:09 PM   #4
kronckew

The sword arrived this morning, as expected, the 3-section bone grip on both sides have sections front and back missing, retaining the pinned central section. Bone scales I ordered should arrive today/tomorrow.

The sword itself is in excellent shape, the blade is very slightly curved, the height of the chord arc is about a 1/4 in. Blade is patinated but no rust, except some light rust where the scale parts are missing. Blade is 26.25 in. long, 1 7/16 in. wide at the guard, 2 1/4 in. ricasso, pronounced 3/8 in. wide T-spine, elevated 8 in. yelman, very sharp, polished (and patinated) edge, yelman as well. Shallow 1/4 in. wide, fuller under the T-spine.

Photos of script marking on guard strap and brass ricasso inlay attached. The area where the guard/blade join does NOT have a filleted weld, it's just a less patinated bit, and is flat, looks like there may have been a leather or felt washer there once.

Will post more photos as the grip gets its new clothes.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 13th April 2023 at 01:56 PM.
Old 13th April 2023, 04:16 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Interesting Wayne. Hopefully the script will be translated by one of our members.
Here is my example, it has the Blue Mosque stamp on the blade and the steel has a wonderful ring when tapped. The handle has been repaired on one side.
Attached Images

Old 19th April 2023, 08:33 PM   #6
Turkoman.khan

Hello, kronckew

Did I understand correctly that there is no stamp on the blade, which is typical for Afghan military swords?
Turkoman.khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2023, 05:12 PM   #7
Sajen

A very nice and rare sword, congrats Wayne!

I personally would polish the blade.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2023, 12:44 PM   #8
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkoman.khan View Post
Did I understand correctly that there is no stamp on the blade, which is typical for Afghan military swords?
Other than the script on the guard, and the brass inlaid circular bit with 12 brass dots around it, there is no blade stamp I can make out. Can you post a sample of what I should look for?
Old 21st April 2023, 04:05 PM   #9
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

This thread shows some examples:
Mazar I Sharif mosque.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...rif+mark+stamp
Old 21st April 2023, 06:05 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you for posting link to that thread of 2011 Rick.
I first acquired one of these Afghan military swords back in the late 90s, and quite frankly, few had any idea what they were. I saw references callling them Greek cutlasses? others claimed these must be Spanish because the stamped punzone resembled the 'Pillars of Hercules" as on old Spanish coins.

It seems the stamp was of course to the Blue Mosque at Mazir i Sharif, which was a dynastic state emblem in the reign of Abur Raman Khan, who in the late 1880s under British subsidy created the Mashin Khana in Kabul.

This was an arms factory which was primarily engaged in rifles for the Afghan forces, though it does seem of course that they produced edged weapons as well in these shops. These military style swords were hilted in notably British fashion, and personally I always thought they resembled the style seen in sword type bayonets, perhaps in accord with the rifle production there.

These were apparently supplied to various tribal levees who acted locally in support of British units and police activity apparently resulted in numbers of these style hilts mounted with heirloom tribal Khyber knife blades, which also received the state seal of the Mazir i Sharif symbol.

The interesting knuckle guard with parallel bars and scrolled terminus near pommel is sometimes seen on examples of paluoar which again shows the combining of style elements.

While these swords were not of an official 'regulation' in military sense, they did become a regularly produced pattern of hilt, with variation in blades as noted. While the earlier examples in iron hilt mounts continued into 20th c. it seems that many in brass hilts were around by the 3rd Afghan War (1919).
The ivory or bone hilts probably reflect those to figures of some stature tribally with authority in the capacity as leaders or officers.

My example is pretty rough, dated 1893, and has the deeply channeled blade that seems prevalent on these in most cases, and are remarkably heavy. I have yet to figure where these came from, but likely India. They seem to correspond to very early traditional Indian blades seen on some swords associated with Pathan occupied areas, the so called 'cobra swords' come to mind.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 21st April 2023 at 06:24 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2023, 06:56 PM   #11
Turkoman.khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
Other than the script on the guard, and the brass inlaid circular bit with 12 brass dots around it, there is no blade stamp I can make out. Can you post a sample of what I should look for?
Hello
Attached Images

Old 21st April 2023, 07:21 PM   #12
Turkoman.khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
You have a very interesting sword. Based on the book I have, I think your sword is a replica of the Afghan army swords that were made for the Afghan army in the arsenal in Kabul in the late 19th/early 20th century.
As I understand it, swords similar to army ones were fashionable in Afghanistan at some point. And private masters made them for men from irregular units.
Old 21st April 2023, 07:30 PM   #13
kronckew

Polished the ricasso with come simichrome. Made the brass inlkay nice & shiny. But no signs of any markings. I suspect this is a custom 'Officers' or 'officials' one.

Translating the script on the guard would be useful tho.
Attached Images