Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th August 2018, 12:15 PM   #1
bhushan_lawate

Clearly of Indian origin. it has an inventory no. "188???" and Jaipur along with the name of the district "Dhamwa???"

a couple of clearer snaps will be helpful..
bhushan_lawate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 03:55 PM   #2
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan_lawate
Clearly of Indian origin. it has an inventory no. "188???" and Jaipur along with the name of the district "Dhamwa???"

a couple of clearer snaps will be helpful..
Of course. There is no doubt it is from India: the inscription is indisputable.
The question is , whence in India?
Obviously, it is not Sindhi.
Afghanistan has very weak support: only one known jezail with rattan bindings.
Calling it Afghani because it was bought nearby is amusing: naan and samosas bought in the US remain purely Indian food. We are discussing here ethnic origins of weapons, not their trade routes. That is IMHO, the root of the confusion.

Since you are located in India and obviously interested in weapons, could you pitch in?
My sources are limited: two guns from Ashoka Arts and Egerton’s example #139 show similar stocks from South India.
Nothing in the collections from Leeds and Mysore Palace.
But there are at least 10 of those ( obviously much more lavish) in the Sandringham collection and those are firmly attributed to Indore ( Central India).

Last edited by ariel; 30th August 2018 at 04:58 PM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 07:27 PM   #3
mahratt

I would assume that what do I write am difficult to understand because of my bad English... But, I see that most of the participants understood me correctly.

No one in this thread claimed that matchlock corrado26 - Afghan matchlock. On the contrary all (including me) write that matchlock corrado26 - Indian.
Corrado in his first post suggested that his gun was from Afghanistan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado26
A friend of mine sent me these fotos asking me to help with an identification. I think it could be a piece from Afghanistan but am not sure. Thanks for help.
corrado26
Rick and I wrote that this matchlock could theoretically be used in Afghanistan (but not that it is made there) . Theoretically, because personally I, for example, have not seen exactly the same matchlocks like matchlock corrado26 in photographs and lithographs of the late 19th - early 20th century, which have Afghans with rifles. At the same time, the possibility that such a matchlock could be used in Afghanistan cannot be completely denied. Because matchlocks from Sindh and India were used in Afghanistan (this is an objective reality, proved in this topic). At the same time, no one disputes that they were made in Sindh and India. Hope I wrote understandable

By the way, it has already been written that rattan fibers were used far beyond the range of the plant from which these fibers are obtained.

Was the matchlock, we are discussing, manufactured in South India? Yes, most likely.

Let's read the posts, which that others write, more carefully.

Best Regards. Dima

P.S. Rick, I hope you liked the photo?
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 08:53 PM   #4
ariel

I am glad you are finally beginning to step away from Afghanistan and Sindh and agree with my original suggestion of South India.

Meanwhile, please check my recent post: a relatively large number of similar guns were indisputably attributed to Indore.

So just for the fun of it, we may want to choose between these two possibilities. It's nice to be able to narrow the field.
Old 30th August 2018, 09:20 PM   #5
mahratt

I see, that you still do not understand what the topic is about Re-read the topic from the very beginning. So far it seems that you read only your own posts

And for now I'll put an interesting illustration:
Attached Images

Old 30th August 2018, 10:13 PM   #6
ariel

Mahratt,
I can see that you are becoming progressively more agitated and, as often happens with you when your assertions are disputed, more and more sarcastic and even offensive.
Let me reassure you: there is nothing personal on my end. I am not into any firearms, and the current topic just randomly piqued my interest. I have no dog in this fight and couldn't care less where this gun is from. It is just a detective story, no more.
So please calm down and try to be more polite.

Thanks for the pic. Would be nice to know what part of the world we are talking about and the origin of this gun. I recall that only 2 hours ago you considered the Corrado's gun to be of South Indian origin, " most likely".

Please refer to my note about Sandringham collection: its attributions are ironclad.
Old 30th August 2018, 11:13 PM   #7
mahratt

Ariel, please specify which of my messages was sarcastic or offensive? I hope it will be easy for you to quote my words, which in your opinion are offensive?

You write a lot of words in this thread, but unfortunately, less and less of your words refer specifically to the topic of discussion..... By the way, I noticed an interesting trend))) Almost all topics in which I write here on the forum, suddenly cause you to "randomly interest." ))))

I am very glad that you are interested in the image I brought. This is a lithography of 1843, which is made from the watercolor of an English officer (from an album dedicated to the costumes of the peoples of Afghanistan). Apparently you noticed the similarity of matchlock corrado26 and the rifle on lithography? Is not it?
But, notice, I did not say anywhere that this illustration shows the origin of the matchlock corrado26.

As for the "polite", I'm sure the moderators will make a remark to me, if I'm "not polite". Or did I miss something and you became a moderator?

Last edited by mahratt; 31st August 2018 at 04:02 AM.