FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th June 2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Michael Blalock

Here is another one to add to the list.
Attached Images

Michael Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:16 PM   #2
Michael Blalock

Yet another one. Unfortunately I did not see this until it was sold.
Attached Images

Old 22nd June 2017, 01:23 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

PLEASE see http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000370.html for an interesting debate on these weapons.

At post 25 above I considered the blade stamp marks as Algerian and I still do ~ with the name of Ali bin alwafi bin Hassan on the cuff region . At the same time I consider these to be Bukharan weapons but cannot rule out that Jewish Smiths in Yemen may have made some of these as Micheal Blalock has indicated. However, I see no relation between these and Omani Swords.

See also post 7.

Below. It could be that the Algerian sword and gun marks are the same as the three dense black stamps on the sword.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 22nd June 2017 at 02:05 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 12:29 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am really glad to see this topic brought back, as in such a fascinating and unresolved field of study as Arabian swords, too often a certain complacency seems to prevail.

Perhaps Elgood as he wrote in 1994, well described some conditions which seem to have been prevalent until those times. Fortunately those who have entered the field since have been diligent in trying to find answers and resolve some of these 'mysteries'.

Elgood wrote on page 15 ("Arms and Armour of Arabia"...., "...there are a number of Arab sword types that are loosely referred to as nimcha or saif, which are usually attributed to the Yemen by collectors and cataloguers on the basis that the weapons of the area are not well known and they are unlikely to be challenged on the attribution. There is no reliable published guide to the various types of Arab sword and some of the North African hilts are said to be Arabian".

He goes on to talk about the 'Hadramaut' type of sabres (2.8; 2.10) which he says were often produced in Hyderabad, India as there was a constant interaction with mercenary forces from there who went to and from India.
I have seen these, with repousse silverwork hilt of karabela style and distinctly Arab mounts remarkably like these with the (reluctantly described)"barber pole" spiral wrap on the scabbard. They had the hollow ground, European cavalry type blades, highly polished.

Hadhramaut is of course, collectively a region of 'the Yemen' in degree, and again, here we see the broad sweep of attributions which we see now being reconsidered. With what are most compelling observations concerning Bukhara and these swords with their influences in Yemen. As I consider the apparently Bukharen and Caucasian use of this 'spiral wrap ' affectation, it seems more likely that these swords were mounted in southern Arabia, and in the Yemeni sphere.
However, certain patterns, such as the 'wheel' design in the motif on some of the examples I saw may reflect India influence, but could well have simply been another nuanced device mixed into the overall motif in Yemen.

Although these 'Yemeni/Bukharen' swords do have the open and cuffed type hilt resembling the Omani sayfs (often formerly termed 'kattara'), they do seem to be an independent form which evolved in some limited religious and diplomatic channels between these regions. It is of course tempting to think that perhaps certain contact between Oman and Yemen might have brought certain affectations together concerning sword forms, but much more evidence is needed. Naturally the contact between Yemen and Zanzibar is well noted, so this well could have provided such conduit .

Regarding the markings on the example shown in #25, it is most interesting to consider the blade possibly having Algerian connections. Again, the contact between North Africa and Arabia is well established, so such possibility is of course quite plausible. The markings themselves seem to be exaggerated examples of such triple stamps from Italian context (often termed 'twig' marks) and often copied by native artisans. These seem much heavier of course, but may be elaboration in interpretation.
In conversations regarding North African swords over the years, it has been emphatically suggested to me that the sabres of Morocco (often termed 'nimcha' some years ago, were actually Arabian.

These same type hilts (with the distinct nock under pommel) are also found on these 'nimcha' termed 'Zanzibar' versions. I recall years back when many of these 'nimcha' (with ring or loop on guard, pictured below) were found in Yemen, and were said to be from Zanzibar.
As we recall, the Omani open hilt sayf was well represented in Zanzibar.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 24th June 2017 at 12:45 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2019, 02:22 PM   #5
Michael Blalock

Period photo
Attached Images

Old 22nd August 2019, 07:17 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Thanks to Michael Blalock for the inclusion of more pictures showing the sword with a Yemeni tribal chief. It may not however detract from the general view that this is a Bukharan style . Yemeni Bukaran links are considerable in the religious field including architecture and religious linkages. The Yemen is perhaps the root birthplace of the Omani Battle Sword often called Sayf Yemaani...possibly made in Hadramaut… but a more direct link is more difficult to assume or prove.

I noted earlier the potential here for an Algerian blade and would add to that the likelihood of Yemeni Jewish involvement in the well crafted silver and the typical big architectural style in the hilt somewhat reflected in other weapon parts like the monumental, architectural crown at the end of the scabbard of Yemeni Daggers.

Trying to identify Mosque domes as linked to these weapons is impossible in my view... For example with say Iranian Mosque domes... but the Sayf Yemaani must pre date Islam in Iran if it did come to Oman in 700 to 752 AD as the Ibaathi battle Sword. The link between the Omani and Yemeni/ Bukharen sword shown here is in my opinion insufficiently explored...More research needed I suggest.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2019, 07:56 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Ibrahiim for adding your insights here to a thread which is great to see again. While they say a picture is worth a thousand words, with regard to study and discussion, it helps to know what is pertinent and what we are looking at.

The salient points of this thread were views toward the possible Bukharen connections between the Yemen and Bukhara via religious circumstances, as well as the architectural influences shared and as is often the case. It does seem that architectural features often influence decoration and motif in many cultures. In many cases these are stylized and had to adequately identify, especially for those outside the according spheres.

I recall many years ago when I saw swords identified as Bukharen which had the red backed silver banding on the scabbard similar to the examples I had seen designated as Hadhramauti. In later discussion the spherical and ovoid pommels became notable as perhaps connected.

As you say, more research well warranted!!!
Old 12th February 2023, 03:27 PM   #8
ariel

Elgood’s book on arms and armour of Arabia came out in 1994, almost 30 years ago.
Since then several books addressing narrowly defined topics ( i.e. Yemeni Janbiyas, specifically Omani weapons, North African bladed weapons) were published and internet Fora had multiple discussions of different physical aspects of Arabian swords and daggers, their history, their typology, uncovering formerly unknown examples etc,etc . In short , we have gotten so much of new information that a new book covering the whole panoply of historical weapons of the Arab world is absolutely needed.

Either Elgood might re-write his book as an expanded second edition or somebody else might assemble a group of people with good knowledge of a particular variety of ethnic weapons to be assigned well-defined chapters.

I think the time is ripe for such an enterprise.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2023, 06:37 PM   #9
Michael Blalock

Default Yemeni Sword

Quite a beautiful Yemeni sword. I saw this online yesterday. Not great photos. I question the attribution for the 1500’s. The decorations are too similar to the other examples we have that were likely made within the last two centuries.
That’s quite a hefty price as well.
See the description below.

Item Overview
Description
A sword (saif) with flat slightly tapering double-edged blade, on one side with inscriptions in naskh script, the green mina enameled silver hilt with ribbed pommel, the guard and the grip carved with floral decorations. The leather covered scabbard body with two belt attachment rings, the locket and chape with a similar green mina enameled and silver carved decoration with traces of gilding. Length: 106 cm. Early swords from the Arab cultures use to employ straight heavy blades. Curved shamshir style swords were adopted by many Arab communities and cultures around the 10th century, but in two places – Oman and Yemen straight blade swords continued to be used. The well known Omani Kattara sword was in use well into the 20th century. Its Yemeni “sister” is much less common. The Yemeni sword with straight blade follows the style of earlier Islamic swords. Quite similar to Mamluk swords from the 13th century, not only with its straight blade but also the handle style with a ball shaped or similar rounded pommel. Use of early European blade is also common to these swords. PROVENANCE Private collection, France. CATALOGUE NOTE Badr Abu Tuwaireq, Badr bin Abdullah bin Ali bin Omar Al Kathiri, one of the greatest sultans of the Kathiri Sultanate. Born in 1494, one year after his grandfather Jaafar occupied al-Shihr. He assumed the sultanate after his father in 1520, but the ambition of his brother Badr left him no room for action. He is considered the first Hadhrami sultan who persevered in unifying the regions of Hadramout and Mukalla. During his reign he reached the farthest limits of the Kathiri Sultanate. He knew that every tribe could declare its disobedience and rebellion and isolate its small areas of rule, harming the great unity of Hadramout and the region. As soon as the year 1520 passed, Abu Tuwaireq was the de facto ruler of Hadramout, and his brother Muhammad remained the ruler of Dhofar. However, Abu Tuwaireq wrested Dhofar from his brother in the year 1540. He became the ruler with the entire Kathiri state after he made his brother Muhammad ruler of the city of Al-Shihr, worked to form an army from other forces made up of the Turks of the Ottoman army, during the period of Caliph Suleiman the Magnificent, as well as from Jabal Yafea and their loyalists, and from some northern Yemeni regions, in order to be assured of their obedience and non-rebellion, and to fight the rebellious tribes against him in Nahd and Hamum. During his reign of nearly 50 years (died in1569) had many wars with the Doan tribes, headed by the sheikhdom of the Amoudi family and Siban under the leadership of Sheikh Othman bin Ahmed Al-Amoudi Governor of the Doan Valley. Many of the tribes of Yafaa migrated during his reign to Hadhramaut and remained there to this day.
Condition Report

Condition reports and high resolution pictures are available on our website at www.orientalartauctions.com If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at info@orientalartauctions.com
Attached Images

Old 23rd August 2019, 06:46 AM   #10
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blalock
Period photo
Beautiful photos of Yemeni swords
There is of course absolutely no evidence of Bukharan influences.
This discussion was all made up on the forum based on nothing...
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 06:49 AM   #11
TVV

I am sorry, I fail to see the Central Asian connection either.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:14 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Beautiful photos of Yemeni swords
There is of course absolutely no evidence of Bukharan influences.
This discussion was all made up on the forum based on nothing...
We would have to define Bukharen influence. Is there a distinctly Bukharen character which was confined to those specific regions? As far as I have understood the Persian dynamic in such influences affected many cultures and regions throughout the Middle East, India (particularly Mughals), Central Asia and more.
The point has been that influences which influenced Bukhara may well have shared and been diffused in Yemeni designs as well.
I was once told, 'weapons have NO geographic boundaries' in discussions with an authority on Bukharen arms, and in which a sabre (of similar form to shashka) could not be determined either Uzbek or Afghan. There were elements in character of both, so classification was pretty much a toss up.

I consider the observations in the discussions on these swords as all relevant and far from being based on nothing. In fact all of the content is pertinent data toward the remarkably difficult determination of the history and development of these weapons. Classifications and historical determinations of influences may not always be finite, but reasonable plausibility is a worthwhile outcome.