Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd January 2021, 06:31 PM   #1
ariel

Burst of activity in January 2012, them self-extinguishing dribbling up to 2014. Than silence until today. And... B-a-aahm! Another wave ( like covid).
I love how this Forum works: nothing is forgotten, new information is posted in bursts, and sometimes it changes the way we look at things.
It is like one of the main laws of Talmud: there is no before or after, our understanding may be interruptible, but always deeper and deeper.
Good job, colleagues!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2021, 06:38 PM   #2
ariel

I suspect that the so-called " low-end" examples were the real battle one. The ones with handles of exotic materiels and with artistically carved fragile handles likely never saw a real fight.

The Bud Dajo one is, IMHO, priceless. It carries with it an awesome story.
If I were collecting Philippine weapons I would have chosen it over the rich and intricate ones.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 08:24 AM   #3
kronckew

Forget to add this one Mid-20th c. Zamboangan with simple Maranao hilt. Guess they couldn't be bothered to get the pommel protrusions carved.25in. LOA in scabbard, 15.75 in. (40cm.) blade, 2.75in. wide, 4mm thick at the spine, 675 grams.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 3rd January 2021 at 08:35 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:55 AM   #4
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
I suspect that the so-called " low-end" examples were the real battle one. The ones with handles of exotic materiels and with artistically carved fragile handles likely never saw a real fight.

The Bud Dajo one is, IMHO, priceless. It carries with it an awesome story.
If I were collecting Philippine weapons I would have chosen it over the rich and intricate ones.
That depends sir. There are lavishly dressed samples that have "wise" blades. The kris in my avatar has an ivory pommel and suassa hilt, but the blade has chips and is slightly bent, obviously used in battle. Conversely, there are also non-lavish samples that were never used, and are perfectly preserved.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 12:24 AM   #5
Jerseyman

Default Cord Weave Hilt

I only have a couple of these - a simple hilt with a nice twist-core blade which I picked up from Gavin years ago (currently in storage and no photos to hand), and this one picked up very recently. I've only had a chance to give it a quick wipe down so far.

It's had a bit of a hard life, but I thought it was worth posting as it has a poor man's version of the wire wrap on Pepperskull's barong - exactly the same I think except it's in cord which has frayed quite a bit.

A small area of corrosion on an otherwise nice hollow-ground blade, and an old collector's number on the hilt.

Measurements

Length 56cm
Hilt 15.5cm
Ferrule 17 x 3 x 2.4cm
Pommel 16.5 x 3.8cm
Finials 1 x 0.8cm
Blade length 40.5cm
Blade width 3 > 6.5cm
Spine 0.8 > 0.1cm
Attached Images

Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2021, 05:47 PM   #6
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyman
I only have a couple of these - a simple hilt with a nice twist-core blade which I picked up from Gavin years ago (currently in storage and no photos to hand), and this one picked up very recently. I've only had a chance to give it a quick wipe down so far.

It's had a bit of a hard life, but I thought it was worth posting as it has a poor man's version of the wire wrap on Pepperskull's barong - exactly the same I think except it's in cord which has frayed quite a bit.

A small area of corrosion on an otherwise nice hollow-ground blade, and an old collector's number on the hilt.

Measurements

Length 56cm
Hilt 15.5cm
Ferrule 17 x 3 x 2.4cm
Pommel 16.5 x 3.8cm
Finials 1 x 0.8cm
Blade length 40.5cm
Blade width 3 > 6.5cm
Spine 0.8 > 0.1cm

A really nice piece! This one has a lot of character. I like how the original owner wrapped the whole hilt...I've wielded a very similar-looking sample, but its blade wasn't shandigan.
Old 18th January 2021, 11:36 AM   #7
Royston

Default More Barongs

Here is my contribution
Attached Images

Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2021, 08:16 PM   #8
kai

Thumbs up

Very nice collection, Roy!
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2021, 10:21 PM   #9
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston
Here is my contribution
Amazing collection! One of the best I've seen so far. May we inquire for more info regarding the 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th samples? The 6th sample seems extra interesting as it has provenance note.