Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th February 2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Atlantia

Hi Ibrahiim,

The difficulty of changing ingrained tradition cannot be easy, especially when they are linked to perceptions of status. But given the alternative, attitudes do have to change. Not only in Oman but also in the far east.

Why the lack of interest in woods?
I've seen old Khanjar with wooden hilts and it is after all, a renewable and sustainable resource.

With the recent massive resurgence of hard-stone carving in China and India, have you ever considered sourcing hard-stone hilts as a more 'status' alternative to resins?
They could still have partial silver covers with limited pins cemented in to connect the exterior elements, in fact following the Indo-Persian/Mughal methods of decoration they could be quite elaborate.
They would also provide a wide variety of colours and some of the stones used are extremely hard and durable.
Jade, Jadeite, Bowenite Serpentine etc.....

I bet Chinese or Indian workshops could produce a standard 'I' shaped Khanjar hilt to a very high standard at very reasonale cost!

And it's a readily available material with well rooted traditions!

Best
Gene

EDIT: Picture added. Photoshopped picture of Khanjar hilt.
Original hilt removed and space filled with picture of red jadeite.
Attached Images

Last edited by Atlantia; 24th February 2013 at 04:03 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hi Ibrahiim,

The difficulty of changing ingrained tradition cannot be easy, especially when they are linked to perceptions of status. But given the alternative, attitudes do have to change. Not only in Oman but also in the far east.

I've seen old Khanjar with wooden hilts and it is after all, a renewable and sustainable resource.

With the recent massive resurgence of hard-stone carving in China and India, have you ever considered sourcing hard-stone hilts as a more 'status' alternative to resins?
They could still have partial silver covers with limited pins cemented in to connect the exterior elements, in fact following the Indo-Persian/Mughal methods of decoration they could be quite elaborate.
They would also provide a wide variety of colours and some of the stones used are extremely hard and durable.

I bet Chinese or Indian workshops could produce a standard 'I' shaped Khanjar hilt to a very high standard at very reasonale cost!

Best
Gene

Salaams Atlantia Stone just isn't wanted..It may be because it has the wrong weight... and oddly even the expensive stone isn't sought such as Jade...though it is for exotic Persian and Indian Daggers...Standard hardwood is looked upon as the poorest hilt...followed by cheap plastic then cowhorn.. (then there is the possibility of an almost all silver hilt) then Sandalwood then Composites then Elephant then Rhino. In the advent of a peculiar horn or bone such as Water Buffalo the place they take would be below Elephant but better than Composites... Sea animal tusk I've seen a few and they come before Elephant ... somewhere in that order.

I liked the Jadeite example you placed..Shukran.

We do make a camel stick in almost that configuration in a ceramic hilt form but its a bit unsafe ... What is the effect of dropping a stone hilted khanjar onto a stone floor from about 4 feet?... I'm sure it would fall pommel down first ... would it crack break or chip? Bone and composites don't break or chip.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 24th February 2013 at 04:17 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Rhino Hilt.

Salaams All ~ Here is an old Rhino Hilt redressed with new silver for an up and coming Khanjar. Note that the plate on the front is not a solid piece... but separate silver pins
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 17th May 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 19th May 2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Pommel End Photo.
Attached Images

Old 19th May 2013, 08:58 PM   #5
BANTARU

Wow its so beautiful. I can't believe someone actually sat there and put all those countless pins into that hilt.

Do show us the finished product when you are done!
BANTARU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANTARU
Wow its so beautiful. I can't believe someone actually sat there and put all those countless pins into that hilt.

Do show us the finished product when you are done!

Salaams BANTARU ~ I will try to show the final complete result. Sadly the fact is that Rhino makes such an attractive hilt because of this translucence and the variety of colours in the different types ... In addition Rhino is perfect for using the very close silver pin technique since other materials split. Rhino hilt is also very robust and even if thrown to the floor it bounces... whilst other materials can crack. Fortunately we now see a fair number of composite materials substituting Rhino or horn but nothing gets close enough to Rhino ...

For a brief look at what we are trying to save see # 55 by Spiral and http://www.african-elephant.org/pachy/index.html

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 22nd May 2013, 07:32 PM   #7
A.alnakkas

In a jambiya or a khanjar, the hilt is probably the oldest. The hilt (and sometimes the blade) is the most expensive and treasured part of the dagger so it gets refurbished often and as style changes, you get to see those pins sometimes covered by the silver sheet which have became the new fashion or something.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Pommel End Photo.
Salaams All,
Here's the scabbard we sourced to match the hilt previously seen at #87...Well here are all the parts ! We just need to fit it all together !! Then the whole ensemble will be cleaned up and at about that point it will begin its journey of acquiring "Patina", however, silver being relatively soft and prone to oxidisation this ought to only take about 6 months.

The scabbard is an Emirati (UAE) Style and favours the very vast expanse of leather showing below the belt ~ though the toe floral decoration is typically Nizwa, Oman, done before the UAE formation when these countries were blended together loosely as one. (Trucial Oman States)(Muscat and Oman)

Afternote ~ The leather is hand tooled in simple floral geometry. Please also note that the central plate wrapped around the hilt midsection is hand decorated silver sheet... but the rest of the silver on the hilt comprises several thousand small silver pins hammered so closely they look like one sheet.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 29th May 2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:30 AM   #9
RhysMichael

A couple of Thesinger's photos
Attached Images

RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysMichael
A couple of Thesinger's photos

Salaams RhysMichael ~ I will dig out some Wilfred Thesiger pictures with Omani Khanjars...The examples shown are probably Yemeni Jambia.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 21st December 2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hi Ibrahiim,

Best
Gene

EDIT: Picture added. Photoshopped picture of Khanjar hilt.
Original hilt removed and space filled with picture of red jadeite.

Salaams Atlantia,
We have just brought on a couple of hilts made of rock crystal... They look pretty stunning but are very weighty... twice the weight of a normal hilt . I suspect they would shatter if dropped..especially on a marble or concrete floor...Anyway it is interesting.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Old 23rd December 2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams ~Now here's a funny thing !his hilt has a very nice feel to it... but I cannot decide what it is made from since the edges seem to be going white... or light... as happens with Rhino but this has a feel more of Bakelite or carbon(plastic) or resin ..yet it seems to be horn. The old chap that brought it has said it is half Rhino... meaning he thinks it has Rhino in it... tiny shavings mixed in the mix ...so to speak... but I have me doubts !! Very expensive though !!

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Old 23rd December 2013, 08:23 PM   #13
spiral

Looks like cheap layered plastic.... quite likely to be translucent at edges...

I understand many such are made in the Yemen & as with so many sales products you've informed us about, there then imported into Oman to be sold by the dodgy dealers , who always have a tale on their lips...

To quote a Yemini trader...

Al-Ozairi uses his expertise and years of experience to not only sell jambiyas, but also provide free-of-charge consultation for clients.

“Many customers come to my shops asking us to evaluate the price of their jambiyas.”

Many people cannot tell the difference between the original and plastic jambiyas and Al-Ozairi likes to set them straight.

“Thos who make fake, plastic jambiyas have swindled many people out of a lot of money, convincing many customers that their jambiyas are unique,” he said, taking it as a personal affront on his beloved profession.

“They deserve the severest punishment from the government for deceiving people and destroying the reputation of jambiya trade.”

Despite the “plastic invasion,” Al-Ozairi is optimistic about the future and continued legacy of one of Yemen’s most notorious weapons.

“Original jambiyas are an important part of our legacy. It will not fade away as many people say.

It will prevail,” he said.

Ref....linky!

Of course ground rhino horn would also be too valuable to ad to a cheaply made handle like that,The Jambiya makers have re sold there offcuts & adulterated sawdust to the Chinese for at least 25 years! & besides ground human toenails would add the same keratin product & translucency even if without the allure & magic of the last remaining {just.] dinosaur on the planet.

Hope you didn't really pay much for that?

I think your a sharper man than that.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 10:44 AM   #14
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Looks like cheap layered plastic.... quite likely to be translucent at edges...

I understand many such are made in the Yemen & as with so many sales products you've informed us about, there then imported into Oman to be sold by the dodgy dealers , who always have a tale on their lips...

To quote a Yemini trader...

Al-Ozairi uses his expertise and years of experience to not only sell jambiyas, but also provide free-of-charge consultation for clients.

“Many customers come to my shops asking us to evaluate the price of their jambiyas.”

Many people cannot tell the difference between the original and plastic jambiyas and Al-Ozairi likes to set them straight.

“Thos who make fake, plastic jambiyas have swindled many people out of a lot of money, convincing many customers that their jambiyas are unique,” he said, taking it as a personal affront on his beloved profession.

“They deserve the severest punishment from the government for deceiving people and destroying the reputation of jambiya trade.”

Despite the “plastic invasion,” Al-Ozairi is optimistic about the future and continued legacy of one of Yemen’s most notorious weapons.

“Original jambiyas are an important part of our legacy. It will not fade away as many people say.

It will prevail,” he said.

Ref....linky!

Of course ground rhino horn would also be too valuable to ad to a cheaply made handle like that,The Jambiya makers have re sold there offcuts & adulterated sawdust to the Chinese for at least 25 years! & besides ground human toenails would add the same keratin product & translucency even if without the allure & magic of the last remaining {just.] dinosaur on the planet.

Hope you didn't really pay much for that?

I think your a sharper man than that.

Spiral
Salaams spiral~ You are absolutely right. I only snapped a picture and the item left ... I think the old chap must have been stitched up ... huge shame. I loved his daft story about the Rhino shavings and even wondered for a minute if it could be true..! I thought it could be amber... but no! probably some resin ...

There are some reasonable "allowable bone" handles on the market ...for European knives and I always wondered why Mamoth tusk never made it here. Thanks for the post and the great linky..
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 25th December 2013, 03:30 PM   #15
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all... My workshops team had a bit of a giggle at the 3 stone hilts at #121 and confirm they are only for presentation framed khanjars and certainly not for wearing.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 31st December 2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams All; Note to Library; Old chaps like these often drop in for a chat ... and they make the best bargainers in the business...Some allow pictures...like this fine gentleman, today, (Awadth Kareeb al Kuwaiti from the U.A.E. He used to work for the late ruler!)
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 31st December 2013 at 03:57 PM.