Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd July 2023, 01:39 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default Spear ID Javelin length

I've had this aside in storage for 10-15 years I suspect... it's on the workbench today to have silver lead based paint removed to see what's hiding underneath and oil the timbers.

It's an unusual piece. Tapering octagonal shaft, Mother of pearl inlay and a large socket spear head.

It is javelin length but the weight and width of the shaft and size of the head, I feel it is more suitable from a marital application POV, that it would be used with a shield.

I've no idea what its true origins are... I thought perhaps Chinese/Sulawesi, perhaps Chinese/Maluka settlements... perhaps neither regions...

Thoughts and input welsome.
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2023, 03:27 AM   #2
drac2k

It is a very interesting piece. The octagonal haft looks European to me minus the possibly later added on inlay. It also appears like it has holes on the sides where the stirrup from a previous halberd head was fastened into the shaft.
It it possible that the original spearhead was modified(removal of the Stirrups), or a marriage of 2 different weapons?
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2023, 04:17 AM   #3
DavidFriedman

Cool lance. Interesting.
DavidFriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2023, 07:14 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k View Post
It is a very interesting piece. The octagonal haft looks European to me minus the possibly later added on inlay. It also appears like it has holes on the sides where the stirrup from a previous halberd head was fastened into the shaft.
It it possible that the original spearhead was modified(removal of the Stirrups), or a marriage of 2 different weapons?
Great deductions Drac2k... quite potentially can be as you describe.

At first glance I thought the hole top and bottom may have been from a wall mount... but I figures the holes are not usually that fine of a diameter... unless someone took care in ruining a perfectly good piece of timber, but then I noticed that on the head end, there is a secondary hole on another face not aligned with the other two holes...

Of the MOP that is missing, this is no discernable difference in age patina from within the recess to the remainder of the shaft. The MOP could well be old gaming tokens of old too.

Any learned EU historians who can share halberbs/pikes etc that have this pole form.
Old 23rd July 2023, 09:50 AM   #5
Sajen

Hi Gav,

What are the dimensions? I once found a very massive spearhead completely rusted on Halmahera, after removing the rust I've gave it as a gift to a friend. But it was different from your example.
The mother of pearl inlays on the shaft points indeed to the Moluccas IMVHO.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2023, 04:47 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Hi Gav,

What are the dimensions? I once found a very massive spearhead completely rusted on Halmahera, after removing the rust I've gave it as a gift to a friend. But it was different from your example.
The mother of pearl inlays on the shaft points indeed to the Moluccas IMVHO.

Regards,
Detlef
Thanks Detlef,

Sarawak Museum also shows how far and wide massive Chinese spear heads were found, although I'd consider it more Chinese influenced that being from China... perhaps Peter or others can confirm?

This is 155cms long, head 39cms long including the socket and 5cms wide across the blade.

The shaft is 3ms at the socket, paters to 2.2cms at the base.

I'm no expert on timbers but it is like the teak timbers of SEA.
I've been over the shaft in good light and with a lens and I cannot denote any evidence of stirrups being pinned to any surface "shrug icon inserted"