Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th April 2024, 06:24 PM   #1
gp

Default shipping ex USA ....

Happy as a dog with two tails to have won this nice dagger for US $ 70 on eBay from a seller in the good ol' USA , I was awaiting delivery last week....

Was indeed....past tense.

Strange for a country who is the world biggest arms dealer, that eBay now has prohibited the sale and shipping of my dagger from that same country.

I contacted eBay, they provided me a link stating :

"Restricted items and categories

Items included in eBay's hazardous, restricted or regulated materials policy, or that don't follow our International trading policy, can't be shipped using eBay International Shipping.

Items that are shipped to buyers in the UK need to comply with all applicable UK laws and regulations. We have put measures in place to prevent US items that may not comply with UK regulations, such as CE Certification and/or Plugs and Sockets Regulations, from being sold to buyers in the UK.

Due to export limitations and restrictions, items listed in the following categories also can't be shipped with eBay International Shipping. This is not an exhaustive list and it may be updated based on transportation regulations and export laws.

Any category or items containing Radium or other radioactive materials
Dangerous goods requiring hazardous handling labels & documentation
Export-controlled items requiring license > Ex. Military vehicle parts
Business & Industrial > Heavy equipment & attachments.

Collectibles > Knives, swords & blades "

So this restricts all of us buying cold weapons from eBay USA based sellers...

Sad to see that country declining by the decade commercially, as already a decade ago shipping charges doubles to trebled, making that country uninteressting to buy from.

Not only cold weapons but even books; I used to buy many books ( quite some antique) books where shipping went from $ 20 to $ 45 - $70....

Makes me singin' the Blues ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...e=emb_imp_woyt
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 21st April 2024 at 12:42 PM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2024, 06:31 PM   #2
TVV

The US laws are not the problem. It is the UK laws that are restrictive, and as a result certain items cannot be shipped to the UK.
TVV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2024, 06:46 PM   #3
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV View Post
The US laws are not the problem. It is the UK laws that are restrictive, and as a result certain items cannot be shipped to the UK.

But I live in the Netherlands, which never was, is and never ever will be part of the UK ( fortunately.. )

So if that was to be true, there would imply folks working in the eBay USA shipping department have no knowledge whatsoever on geography...

I know geography is not a strong developed subject in the USA, but I do not believe it to be the case in their international shipping departments (speaking from 30 years experience on international transactions and being a customs SME, also having worked 20 years for US companies in their int. departments ... : they do know that topic very well ! )

But the rule is not only limited to the UK as it would look on first sight, as it can also (legally) be made applicable or interpretated to all non USA transactions.

The interpretation ( if you exclude the UK part) is to be understood due to the fact that the US legislation can be challenging and as eBay has to go for the fast buck and least to none issues, applying such a rule safeguards or avoids issues.

"Restricted items and categories

Items included in eBay's hazardous, restricted or regulated materials policy, or that don't follow our International trading policy, can't be shipped using eBay International Shipping.

Collectibles > Knives, swords & blades "

eBay sadly and simply does not follow other US auction sites, nor US auction houses and US individual sellers who do offer international shipping within the US legislation.

So any forum members in the good ol' U S of A will soon have a nice and cheap dagger available to buy

I believe it to be either Serbian but based on the hilt it might be Greek as well and if cleaned double to treble my purchase value...I was surprised that it went this cheap whilst being a month for sale...

Last edited by gp; 20th April 2024 at 07:10 PM.
Old 20th April 2024, 08:29 PM   #4
Sajen

Hi Gunar,

The problem isn't the States and their laws but these weird "Global Shipping Program" many US sellers use, for some unknown reason they seem to think that it's forbidden to import any blades to European states.
When you want to purchase a blade from ebay US sellers make sure that they don't use these weird "GSP".

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2024, 11:18 PM   #5
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Hi Gunar,

The problem isn't the States and their laws but these weird "Global Shipping Program" many US sellers use, for some unknown reason they seem to think that it's forbidden to import any blades to European states.
When you want to purchase a blade from ebay US sellers make sure that they don't use these weird "GSP".

Regards,
Detlef
Thnx a lot / herzlichen Dank Detlef !
Attached Images

Old 20th April 2024, 08:34 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp View Post
So any forum members in the good ol' U S of A will soon have a nice and cheap dagger available to buy
I don't know what will happen with this nice knife but the seller won't will get it back so far I know!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2024, 11:19 PM   #7
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
I don't know what will happen with this nice knife but the seller won't will get it back so far I know!
That is very bad !
Old 21st April 2024, 12:51 AM   #8
wildwolberine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp View Post
That is very bad !
This is true, I know from experience. I sold a WW2 Philippines knife to an Italian buyer & shipped via GSP. Was confiscated by auction platform, buyer was refunded. The knife was apparently resold to a third party as I saw the same knife for sale again a few weeks later. I didn’t lose money but the knife was lost. Needless to say I won’t do that again
wildwolberine is offline   Reply With Quote