Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th February 2018, 07:31 PM   #1
Ferguson

Default Laminated Kukri

I saw this on our favorite auction site and was lucky enough to win the bid. It is 17 1/2" (44 cm) long in a straight line from tip to hilt. It has an interesting lamination pattern and a hardened edge. There is some bronze brazing alloy on the blade at the ferrule, but it does not attach to the steel ferrule. An old repair perhaps. The tang does not extend through the hilt. Your thoughts and observations are welcome.
Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images

Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 04:38 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I like the blade. Hard to tell if such blades are rare or not: not all kukri blades are etched. They are harder to find though....

The style of hilt makes me think it is early 20th century, but I would rather hear from the kukri guys.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 09:22 AM   #3
kronckew

Cool, the hairpin laminations are similar to those found in nearby tibetan/bhutanese knives/swords. probably an older blade. the brass may be the remains of a prised off openwork decoration rather than a repair. looks a bit odd for a repair. Stub tangs held in with laha (neplali glue) are typical and very sturdy. early 20c a good bet based on the overall shape...

Last edited by kronckew; 17th February 2018 at 05:47 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2018, 05:17 PM   #4
kai

Smile

Hello Steve,

Nice example - there were a few others with pretty similar hairpin laminations on this forum, the last one not too long ago: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21854

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2018, 04:01 PM   #5
Ferguson

Thank you gentlemen for your comments!
Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 05:38 PM   #6
Unclebob

Nice to see a genuinely laminated blade, most certainly first quarter of the 20th century. The handle looks to be quite large, for a European hand perhaps?I've personally not seen one like this in the flesh, though I have seen acid etched blades that look like laminations and sometimes the 'Buddhas' Eye' pattern, particularly this style of Kukri, with a 'Sirupate' blade and carved ring on the handle.
Unclebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2018, 01:19 AM   #7
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson
I saw this on our favorite auction site and was lucky enough to win the bid. It is 17 1/2" (44 cm) long in a straight line from tip to hilt. It has an interesting lamination pattern and a hardened edge. There is some bronze brazing alloy on the blade at the ferrule, but it does not attach to the steel ferrule. An old repair perhaps. The tang does not extend through the hilt. Your thoughts and observations are welcome.
Thanks,
Steve
very nice shape to that kukri blade
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2018, 08:21 PM   #8
cookyboy1

Default Khukri

Hi there .ihave a khukuri like this .the handle on mine is slightly shoter as i can only fit 4 fingers comfortly on it.My one was dated by a khukuri expert at 1860 - 1880 .The handle are whst as known as partial tang and were glued on with home made glue from tree resin.hope this is helpfull.
cookyboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote