Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th April 2005, 09:14 PM   #1
eftihis

Default Arabian beauty 1 translation?

Dear friends,
Here is a very nice silver mounted arabian sword. It reminds me some swords from Syria, but i am not sure. Do you have any clues regarding its specific area of origin? There is an inscription on the scabbard that ould help us if somebody can translate it. The symbol of the "hand" on the scabbard and handle must have a special meaning. It is a very nice sword overall with a very dark blade from age, which i am not sure how should i clean.
Regards to all!
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 12:13 AM   #2
RSWORD

I would classify this as an Arabian Shamshir with much of the silverwork decor commonly found on Arabic swords. The "hook" pommel of the handle does suggest a Syrian influence but I wouldn't say that one feature alone would make me lean towards Syria solely. As you say, perhaps the inscription could bear some insight but unfortunately I am unable to assist with that. The hand motif is most interesting and something I have not run across before. Perhaps it represents a person who held a particular post or rank and that hand symbol symbolizes that office. I bet the inscription might lend some foresight into that regards as it may have a persons name or rank inscribed. Another lovely sword.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 01:24 PM   #3
M.carter

Hello Eftihis,

This sword is indeed syrian, typical syrian hilt, crossguard and scabbard, but the blade looks weird. Syrian blades do not have these types of strongly acute tips. I can read most of the script on the scabbard back. I shall soon post what it reads.

EDIT: ahh here, the seventh pic down reads:" Shighil Hilmi Attallah Al-Tirzi Bi-Ghazza sanat (?) hijriya"

Which translates as:" Work of Hilmi Attalah Al-Tirzi in Gaza (gaza??!!) in the year of (I cannot read the date properly) AH"

As this sword was certainly made during Ottoman times, gaza could be logical, as it all was part of Greater Syria "Al-Sham", but Ive never heard of swordmaking in Gaza.

Last edited by M.carter; 25th April 2005 at 01:56 PM.
M.carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 01:58 PM   #4
M.carter

The inscription between the two hangers reads "Jum'a Saleem Al-Shinyoora". Probably the owners name.

You can also see the Ottoman Crescent and Star sign on the hook pommel.
Old 25th April 2005, 02:01 PM   #5
M.carter

Eftihis, if you can provide us with a closer, higher resolution pic of the indicated part of the inscription below, maybe I can read the date of this sword and when it was made.
Attached Images

Old 25th April 2005, 02:44 PM   #6
Mark

I finally may have something to contribute to a shamshir discussion! I believe that the rose, which is being held or reached for by the hand, is a Sufic (Sufitic? Of the Sufi) symbol frequently appearing in Sufi poetry. I believe it represents nostalgia, longing for happiness/perfection/purity. Something like that.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 03:02 PM   #7
M.carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bowditch
I finally may have something to contribute to a shamshir discussion! I believe that the rose, which is being held or reached for by the hand, is a Sufic (Sufitic? Of the Sufi) symbol frequently appearing in Sufi poetry. I believe it represents nostalgia, longing for happiness/perfection/purity. Something like that.
Very Probable Mark, as there is a large Suffi population in Syria and that region.
Old 25th April 2005, 06:34 PM   #8
Andrew

Many thanks for the translation, Mark (Carter).
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2005, 07:36 PM   #9
M.carter

You're always welcome Andrew
Old 25th April 2005, 09:58 PM   #10
eftihis

Thank you all very much for the contribution.
I will be near the sword in 1-2 days and send a better photo. The date though looks like 1151, doesnt it? Althought this seems quite an early date.
Old 26th April 2005, 02:52 AM   #11
Andrew

If that's in the Arabic calendar, wouldn't that be late 18th century?
Old 26th April 2005, 01:24 PM   #12
M.carter

This is certainly an arab calendar, as these style of weapons did not exist in the 12th century AD.
Old 30th April 2005, 08:06 AM   #13
eftihis

Dear Friends,
I took some more photos of the date as closer as i could. As i said the date seems as 1151 (in islamic calendar ofcourse, arround 1740?) but what about the small symbol immediately after the date?
Attached Images

Old 1st May 2005, 07:14 PM   #14
M.carter

Sorry guys for the very late reply, but my DSL wasnt working for five days in a row, and no other source for internet.Anyway, that date definetly reads 1035, but I really dont no what that is in the euro calendar, anyone here has some sort of converter?
Old 1st May 2005, 07:51 PM   #15
Andrew

Using this calculator ( http://links.spiralwave.co.uk/calconvert.php ) 1035 converts to 1625 a.d.
Old 1st May 2005, 10:07 PM   #16
eftihis

Dear friends, i have in front of me the page with the translation of the islamic numbers and i tried to read them again,and i think that if we start the reading of the date just one letter before, the date becomes 1101 (=1689) which also looks early for this sword. If we read it like this there are just 2 other letters that they may symbolise the month, or something different.
Please see this reading and tell me if it is possible to read the date this way.
Is it possible for this sword to be so old???

Last edited by eftihis; 1st May 2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 2nd May 2005, 01:00 PM   #17
M.carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftihis
Dear friends, i have in front of me the page with the translation of the islamic numbers and i tried to read them again,and i think that if we start the reading of the date just one letter before, the date becomes 1101 (=1689) which also looks early for this sword. If we read it like this there are just 2 other letters that they may symbolise the month, or something different.
Please see this reading and tell me if it is possible to read the date this way.
Is it possible for this sword to be so old???

Eftihis, look closely, the last digit you are reading "1" is not a one. Thats a "3" in arabic, with that three point horizontal squibble on its top left, thats one digit.
Old 5th August 2005, 11:09 PM   #18
Tariq

The date on the shamshir actually reads 1355 and is written above the arabic word "sina" or year. The dot that is in the middle of the date is really part of a letter from this word and not a zero. so from left to right the digits are 1, 3, 5, 5. hopefully this will help.
Tariq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2005, 01:43 AM   #19
Andrew

Welcome, Tariq! It is excellent to have another member who can read arabic.
Old 6th August 2005, 10:14 PM   #20
ham

Gentlemen,
Though very similar in form and embellishment to Ottoman Arab provincial work, this saber is Bosnian-- the observation that the rose invokes Sufism is correct-- Bosnian Muslims were known for particular schools of Sufism. Actually, downcurved pommels are found on Slavic weapons as well as Arab ones, though more rarely. One of the distinguishing factors is that they are often of a piece with the grip as this example is. Several portraits of Cossack hetmans and officers from the early-mid 19th century wearing sabers with such pommels support this, see Russian Award Weapons by Durov.
As for the date, as Tariq notes, the dot indicates a "nun" as part of the word "sene" (year in Ottoman,) rather than the digit zero. Further, I believe the numerals read 1-2-4-5. The 2 appears to be a 3 but in fact that extra tooth is actually a small dent superposed over the outline of the numeral proper. This would date the sword c. 1830, which is consistent with the silverwork.

Sincerely,

Ham

Last edited by ham; 6th August 2005 at 10:25 PM.
ham is offline   Reply With Quote