Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th July 2016, 10:38 PM   #31
Drabant1701

While browsing Herman Historica auctions this socked war hammer caught my eye: http://www.hermann-historica.de/db2_...on65/aw65.html

If you look at the shaft and tassle it looks identical to the ones one the axe that
from *1 that is discussed in this thread. Here is the intresting part. They claim that the hammer was made for the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the Siege of Vienna for an exhibition in Warsaw 1883. Now if there is any truth to that I do not know, it would however support the theory that these kind of parade weapons would be manufactured in the late 19th cemtury.
Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 01:06 AM   #32
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabant1701
While browsing Herman Historica auctions this socked war hammer caught my eye: http://www.hermann-historica.de/db2_...on65/aw65.html

If you look at the shaft and tassle it looks identical to the ones one the axe that
from *1 that is discussed in this thread. Here is the intresting part. They claim that the hammer was made for the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the Siege of Vienna for an exhibition in Warsaw 1883. Now if there is any truth to that I do not know, it would however support the theory that these kind of parade weapons would be manufactured in the late 19th cemtury.
Good find, I had this picture and discription on my Pinterest site, forgot all about it. The question remains....who exactly made these types of display weapons and in what country were they made.

Ottoman war hammer, crafted hollow iron hammer head with rich ornamental silver work on both sides. Wooden shaft, silver chased and engraved shaft sleeve decorated with leaf tendrils. Quality-crafted replica of an Ottoman horsemans hammer from the 17th century. This copy was made in 1883 on the occasion of the 200th Anniversary of the siege of Vienna, made ​​for an exhibition in Warsaw. Length 94.5 cm.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote