Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd April 2022, 10:15 PM   #1
ariel

Very, very, very nice!
To distinguish between Indian and Persian manufacture one needs a lot of luck ( Indian masters learned Persian technique sometimes in the 17th century and there were real Persian bladesmiths at the Mughal court and, likely, some private ones too), picture of the entire sword and another one focused at the part of the blade near the handle.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2022, 08:44 AM   #2
Drabant1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
Very, very, very nice!
To distinguish between Indian and Persian manufacture one needs a lot of luck ( Indian masters learned Persian technique sometimes in the 17th century and there were real Persian bladesmiths at the Mughal court and, likely, some private ones too), picture of the entire sword and another one focused at the part of the blade near the handle.
Here are more pictures. This blade differs from my other shamshir blades, my other shamshir blades have straight sides but this is curved inwards (hard to explain I made a picture).
Attached Images

Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2022, 06:02 PM   #3
ariel

The blade is highly curved and tapering down to a very sharp tip.
There is no “ indian ricasso”, ie an unsharpened part of the blade adjacent to the quillon block.

Both of them together tell us this blade’s fashion ( and,-highly likely,- its origin): Persia.

Suggest contacting Jens Nordlunde and check whether he still has a copy of his book “A passion for Indian arms”. If you read it carefully it will give you a lot of tips on multiple sources of Indian and on Persian bladed weapons.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2022, 06:30 PM   #4
Drabant1701

Thanks Ariel! I have Jens book, I bought it when he published it. I will have to read it more carefully.
Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote