Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 30th December 2020, 10:27 AM   #1
psingh123

Default Abjad code

Hello forum members,

Is anyone familiar with abjad - a code script? I think its where numbers are used to represent letters. Is anyone familiar with it? I have a sword with it on there:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26517

Any help would be appreciated!
psingh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 07:57 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

That is not exactly what "abjab", when the word is used alone, means AFAIK. Abjab is a type of writing system in which (in contrast to true alphabets) each symbol or glyph stands for a consonant, in effect leaving it to readers to infer or otherwise supply an appropriate vowel.
However there is a system known as "Abjab Numerals" that assigns numbers to each of the 28 letters of the Arabic alphabet. I realize this is undoubtably what you meant, but i wanted to point out the subtle differences so that nobody was confused.
Abjab Numerals is very similar in many ways to Hebrew Gematria. A similar thing was also done with the Greek alphabet.
I know more about Gematria then these other systems. In Gematria it is possible to find inner knowledge through words that add up to the same numerical value. I suspect a similar concept applies to Abjab Numerals.
While i can see why you felt this might be best as a separate thread from the sword you link to it might be best to upload some blade examples to this thread so that this is not seen as a Miscellaneous Subject thread and moved to a different page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abjad_numerals
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 10:14 PM   #3
kwiatek

I am familiar with calculating Abjad but if you are referring to the sword you posted a link to, I doubt very much it is an abjad chronogram.
kwiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2020, 11:15 PM   #4
psingh123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiatek
I am familiar with calculating Abjad but if you are referring to the sword you posted a link to, I doubt very much it is an abjad chronogram.
Thanks for the info! Kwiatek, any idea what is written on the sword?
Old 30th December 2020, 11:16 PM   #5
motan

Hi,
I just want to confirm what David already said. 100% right.
Further, some of the signs on the blade of your sword are letters, other are numbers and others are neither (at least if you assume it is Arabic, I can identify the letters 's', 'j' and 't' and the numeral 2). Therefore, I think that trying to decipher this inscription is futile. Sorry
motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2020, 10:17 AM   #6
psingh123

Hi motan, yes your right, it probably is futile. But any info would still be great. Interesting you found them letters.