Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th April 2020, 04:14 AM   #1
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
Look at the rifle bolt, the original posted photo is the right way round.
Correct. the Original photo is right way around, I still would prefer the hilt over the right shoulder tho.

It seems to be optional.

p.s. - Viet DaDao tend to have very abbreviated guards (and decorated blades).
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 15th April 2020 at 04:34 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2020, 04:50 AM   #2
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
... Viet DaDao tend to have very abbreviated guards (and decorated blades).
Viet Truong Dao:
Attached Images

Old 15th April 2020, 05:13 AM   #3
Philip

A nice classic example of the genre, thanks for sharing the pic. It has a guard of sorts, rather small, serving more to keep the user's hand fro sliding up onto the edge. The appearance of such a rudimentary guard on a Vietnamese weapon may be influenced by small or absent guards on a number of other SE Asian edged weapons such as dhas, barongs, and the like.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2020, 09:23 AM   #4
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
A nice classic example of the genre, thanks for sharing the pic. It has a guard of sorts, rather small, serving more to keep the user's hand fro sliding up onto the edge. The appearance of such a rudimentary guard on a Vietnamese weapon may be influenced by small or absent guards on a number of other SE Asian edged weapons such as dhas, barongs, and the like.
I bought it on a whim, really cheap, listed at auction as a 'machete'. on arrival I fell in love with it, it feels great in the hand, well balanced, and sharp as anything. the blade has been cleaned a bit, grip is untouched. It is not the sword of a 'gentleman'. It'll scare the stuffing out of any intruder I am certain. I already had a more recent one mass-made in El Salvador by a 'Machete' company, with a wooden grip and a larger integral flat guard, I'd wrapped the grip a bit more appropriately. The Truong is a LOT better. I show the grip/guard here just for illustration. It's not high on my list of go-to's. Better to wait for a real one and save your money for it.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 15th April 2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 16th April 2020, 05:30 AM   #5
Philip

wow, imagine one of these made in Central America. Wonders never cease. I thought that I'd seen it all some years ago when a friend forwarded to me an eBay listing showing a decorative pair of Chinese brass-mounted shortswords (double edged straight blades) that could well pass for old (not that the originals were all that fabulous to begin with) EXCEPT -- that each blade was deeply stamped at the forte, "MADE IN INDIA".
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote