Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 25th July 2019, 05:08 AM   #1
A. G. Maisey

David, I have no knowledge of the Sundanese language, however, I have recently made the acquaintance of a gentleman from Sunda who was a university lecturer, he tells me that "duhung" ie, Amuk's "doehoeng" is in fact not a direct equivalent to the Javanese "duwung" or "dhuwung", but rather can only be used to refer to a keris that is in the possession of an important man, somebody with some sort of government rank, or who is recognised in his community as being of high status.

If that keris were to become the possession of somebody who was not a person of importance, then strictly speaking, it could no longer be referred to as "duhung".

Thus, all these keris that Amuk has shown to us must be keris that belong at this present time to a person of some status.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 08:46 AM   #2
Jean

It seems to me that Amuk is only referring the first kris (poesaka) as doehoeng but not the others.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 09:02 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

It is in the description of all the others too Jean.
Old 25th July 2019, 09:02 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
David, I have no knowledge of the Sundanese language, however, I have recently made the acquaintance of a gentleman from Sunda who was a university lecturer, he tells me that "duhung" ie, Amuk's "doehoeng" is in fact not a direct equivalent to the Javanese "duwung" or "dhuwung", but rather can only be used to refer to a keris that is in the possession of an important man, somebody with some sort of government rank, or who is recognised in his community as being of high status.

If that keris were to become the possession of somebody who was not a person of importance, then strictly speaking, it could no longer be referred to as "duhung".

Thus, all these keris that Amuk has shown to us must be keris that belong at this present time to a person of some status.
Thanks for that added information Alan.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 12:46 PM   #5
jagabuwana

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey

As with Javanese, Sundanese has high and low forms, i.e. kasar (loosely translate to coarse, rough, abrasive, harsh) or halus (loosely translated to proper, polished, refine). To my understanding, "keris" is on the kasar end of the spectrum though wouldn't necessarily register as kasar if you referred to your own keris or referring to the object abstractly as "keris". Though the halus or proper term for another person's keris, especially if they were high born or were had rank or status would indeed be duhung. That's my understanding of it anyway. I think the term is relatively archaic as far as working Sundanese goes.

So in the context of this post and to what Alan's friend from Sunda said, it makes sense that in the Sundanese language that these are referred to as duhung as opposed to just "keris". You would probably not refer to your own keris as a "duhung" though, even if you were of high status.

Last edited by jagabuwana; 14th August 2019 at 02:15 AM.
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 10:32 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Well Jaga, you might refer to your own keris as "duhung" --- I guess it all depends upon one's opinion of oneself.
Old 14th August 2019, 02:18 AM   #7
jagabuwana

Haha, might need more stamps in my passport to get away with that one.

I should add that the reason "duhung" is archaic in everyday Sundanese usage is likely because the keris has little to no significance to Sundanese people nowadays (where it once used to, though of course not anywhere close to its importance in Javanese culture), and therefore very few would really care or pick up on it if you referred to someone else's duhung as a "keris".

Interestingly, the only thing referred to as "duhung" at the Prabu Geusan Ulun museum in Sumedang is a badik, and the keris are just called keris.

If I recall correctly, I think Eiseman in Sekala and Niskala mentioned that it the keris , at least where he lived in Bali, was almost never referred to as "keris" but as words that were euphemisms for it, out of respect for the power and place of the object in society and culture, and that these euphemisms were "high" Balinese.

Last edited by jagabuwana; 14th August 2019 at 06:24 AM.
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2019, 07:30 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

It is a characteristic of Javanese & Balinese language patterns to use euphemisms to refer to anything at all that might be a little, let us say, "touchy". There are euphemisms spread right through keris terminology.

In Javanese there are a number of names for the keris, and they refer to the keris in various situations, probably so in Old Javanese as well, but we cannot be certain of this.

Language changes all the time, when we use the concept of "archaic" usage, it can be a matter of something being archaic in common usage, but utterly correct in a specific situation.
Old 12th September 2019, 05:30 AM   #9
Amuk Murugul

Default 'Classic' examples .....

Hullo everybody!

Further additions for sharing.

_000_Setjang Lempeng

Desc: Doehoeng Setjang Lempeng.
Char: Both edges similar, Lempeng.
Blade: LxOALxWxT=30.5x37x7.16x0.88cm. GALOEHPANGAOEBAN.
Handle: Wood Pralamba Jaksa Baradjaperdana w/ yellow-metal seloet.
Wt: 172g.
Sheath: Wood Djoengkoeng w/ pakoe-hadji motif.

_001_SampanaHiras 11Eloek

Desc: Doehoeng Sampana Hiras 11Eloek SOENDAPAKOEAN.
Char: Kembang-katjang , Kotjop , 11 Eloek .
Blade: LxOALxWxT=36x42.5x7.06x1.03cm..
Handle: Wood Pralamba Koewera Oepaja.
Wt: 202g.
Sheath: Wood Widjajan w/ yellow-metal o/sheath.

_002_Sampana 9Eloek

Desc: Doehoeng Sampana 9Eloek.
Char: Kembang-katjang , Kotjop , 9 Eloek .
Blade: LxOALxWxT=36x43x9.08x1.21cm. GALOEHPAKOEAN.
Handle: Wood Pralamba Jaksa Apoen w/yellow-metal wewer.
Wt: 256g.
Sheath: Wood Djoengan

_003_SampanaLeres 9Eloek

Desc: Doehoeng Sampana Leres 9Eloek.
Char: Kembang-katjang , Makoeta , Kotjop , 9 Eloek .
Blade: LxOALxWxT=36.5x44x7.07x1.05cm. SOENDAPAKOEAN.
Handle: Wood Koewera w/ copper seloet.
Wt: 176g.
Sheath: Wood Djongtjoetjoer.

_004_ Sampana 9Eloek

Desc: Doehoeng Sampana 9Eloek.
Char: Kembang-katjang , Kotjop , 9 Eloek .
Blade: LxOALxWxT=34.5x44x8.06x1.03cm. GALOEHPAKOEAN.
Handle: Wood PraLamba Jaksa Tjakra w/ seloet studded w/ clear-stones.
Wt: 171g.
Sheath: Wood Lantjaran.
Attached Images

Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2019, 04:47 PM   #10
Jean

Very nice and rare pieces as usual, thank you! I like the sarong of 000 especially
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote