Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd April 2021, 06:22 PM   #1
SchildaBrit

Default Tar-like residue

Whatever it is, it's resistant to everything that I dare to put down the barrel!

I think the barrel might be some kind of damast, which is why I would not like to use aggressive chemicals.

Photos now inserted. Unfortunately the software limitation means that I cannot post the picture of the barrel with adequate resolution to show up the wavy patterning. Just use your imagination!
Attached Images

Last edited by SchildaBrit; 2nd April 2021 at 06:49 PM.
SchildaBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 06:29 PM   #2
pbleed

Wonderful thread. Thanks and keep us informed.
Peter
pbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 08:50 PM   #3
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchildaBrit
Whatever it is, it's resistant to everything that I dare to put down the barrel!

I think the barrel might be some kind of damast, which is why I would not like to use aggressive chemicals.

Photos now inserted. Unfortunately the software limitation means that I cannot post the picture of the barrel with adequate resolution to show up the wavy patterning. Just use your imagination!
Are you sure its not just old hardened black powder residue?? Try scrubbing with boiling water. We always used that to remove (most of) black powder residue. Then used black powder solvent to finish off.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 10:49 PM   #4
SchildaBrit

Default Hard residue

"Are you sure its not just old hardened black powder residue?? Try scrubbing with boiling water. "

Could well be rock-hard BP residue. About a century old!

I'll give hot water a try. But since I can't remove the barrel from the stock, I need to make an effective plug for the touch hole.

BTW, everything is glued together with what appears to be a kind of pitch. Has anyone got a clue as to what the Afghans actually used? Pine pitch?
Old 3rd April 2021, 12:05 AM   #5
David R

Well the barrel is evidently damask aka twist, and a very nice piece indeed. I would suggest that whatever is in there is "better out than in" ...and it's your jezail and we are just onlookers. Not surprised by the quality of the barrel, these guys were happy to pay the price for their gear, blade or barrel.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 12:24 AM   #6
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchildaBrit
"Are you sure its not just old hardened black powder residue?? Try scrubbing with boiling water. "

Could well be rock-hard BP residue. About a century old!

I'll give hot water a try. But since I can't remove the barrel from the stock, I need to make an effective plug for the touch hole.

BTW, everything is glued together with what appears to be a kind of pitch. Has anyone got a clue as to what the Afghans actually used? Pine pitch?
Don't worry about the touch hole, just leave it as it is. A bit of water on the woodwork won't matter, but if you want to, use a match stick/s to fill the hole. If it breaks off it can easily be removed by pushing thru into the bore and it will drop out.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 06:47 AM   #7
SchildaBrit

"A bit of water on the woodwork won't matter, ..."

My worry would rather be about getting water between the barrel and the stock. Where it would start to rust and be inaccessible.

"...but if you want to, use a match stick/s to fill the hole. If it breaks off it can easily be removed by pushing thru into the bore and it will drop out."

Thanks Stu, that is an excellent suggestion!
Old 3rd April 2021, 07:54 AM   #8
mariusgmioc

Hello,

Not very wise of you to shoot an original antique rifle.
But what am I saying?!
"Not wise" is waaaay too polite!!!

Did you wonder why there aren't many people putting out this kind stunt?!
May it be because they treasure and respect their historical antiques?!

In other words, shooting an antique rifle is equivalent to trying to cut a steel plumbing pipe with an antique wootz shamshir or with a Kamakura period katana.

Are you aware that steel like any other material is subjected to aging and in time it changes dramatically its mechanical properties?!

The fact that your rifle didn't simply blow up in your face may be mere luck. Luck for the rifle!

Last edited by Battara; 3rd April 2021 at 06:59 PM. Reason: inappropriate wording and response
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 08:33 AM   #9
Victrix

Hi Patrick,

How was the recoil? I would imagine it a bit like the kick from a mule? Did you have the butt against your shoulder like a conventional rifle? I was always curious about the strange shape of jezail butts. Some say they were fired with the butt held firmly under the armpit but not sure how they could look along the barrel to take aim properly if that was the case.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 09:10 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusgmioc
Hello,

Not very wise of you to shoot an original antique rifle.
But what am I saying?!
"Not wise" is waaaay too polite!!!

Did you wonder why there aren't many people putting out this kind stunt?!
May it be because they treasure and respect their historical antiques?!

In other words, shooting an antique rifle is equivalent to trying to cut a steel plumbing pipe with an antique wootz shamshir or with a Kamakura period katana.

Are you aware that steel like any other material is subjected to aging and in time it changes dramatically its mechanical properties?!

The fact that your rifle didn't simply blow up in your face may be mere luck. Luck for the rifle!
I realize this is a rather 'direct' reaction, more emotionally based and not necessarily properly phrased or worded, and I know that Marius' first language is not English. However I do understand the reaction from his perspective, I do not like the idea of an antique gun being subject to damage, and naturally do not wish anyone to be hurt or worse from such an accident.

Still, I do respect those well versed in firearms who wish to experience and study the dynamics of these weapons. With that, I realize most who handle and shoot firearms have distinct safety protocols they observe, and these 'tests' are not haphazardly done. I never doubted that Patrick was a well experienced 'shooter' and appreciated his sharing the results of this test.

In truth, these weapons were often dangerous even in their own period, and quite honestly, gun 'explosions' were quite common. Usually these were from improper loading, and many aspects of the loading and firing activity. In actuality, most typical cause of explosion was excessive charge, not weakness in the barrel. With multi chamber revolvers, I have seen cases with cap and ball where multiple chambers fired simultaneously with naturally fatal result to the unfortunate shooter.

Getting to these 'jezail' guns, I bought one two years ago, and while I would fear myself or anyone else firing it, I commend Patrick for his courage and careful method of providing fascinating insights into the true accuracy of these guns.

I very much enjoy the TV series "Pawn Stars", and without exception, one of the key criteria is whether the antique guns they are buying will shoot. If they do not, it is a mark down on the value.
It would seem that experts are able to determine the viability of firing a gun regardless of age based on careful examination of components.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote