Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th August 2021, 04:06 AM   #1
ausjulius

Default extent and spread of turko-mongol bows in europe

it just crossed my mind that it is unusual that the turko-mongol bow never spread to the entirety of europe.

the romans had composite bows, im not sure about the preroman construction of celtic bows? if anyone has some info ?

but the superiority of the nomads composite bows over the older near eastern composite bows and the solid wood bows is just obvious to anyone whos ever shot one. same with the arrow designs of the nomads for that matter.

its not just a matter of more power to weight and easier draw but more accurate, better release and you can use longer arrows for a shorter bow faster to draw, show with ease from a horse and shoot faster.. ect ect.

the price of making them is much higher probably in actual terms of the day 10 or 20 times.. and they cant really be stored in arsenals very long without them degrading very fast so that might be something.

but considering the massive numbers of professional soldiers in europe, many of them archers who would own their own bows.. it seems odd they didnt spread well. people understood composite crossbow limbs.

russia, hungary, the balkans ect and poland used the turko-mongol bows and theyed been present in eastern europe since the huns invasions at-least.. (along with roman & greek composite bows )
bows arnt my specialty.. but it is curious and form what i can see it is quite odd..
for example i wounder how common composite bows were in spain an area under arab influence for quite some time.. or in southern france in the areas on the mediterranian?

and i do wounder how far the nomads composite bow penetrated into europe?

i find it odd that there was no religious barrier.. Hungarians and poles for example were Catholics.. so medieval knights could have seen the nomad composite bows with ease and could have purchased them..

also some medieval art dosnt look like theyer using composite re-curve bows of some type.. more like the roman type. but most art from western europe clearly shows wooden self bows.

i wouder if one of the western eurpean composite bows has survived?

stubborn english maybe ? also i wounder if there is examples of composite re-curve bows being made in medieval england ?
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote