Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th April 2021, 10:39 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Wild Bill Hickok and his pistols

In 1874, gold was discovered in the Black Hills in Dakota Territory, much to the dismay of the Lakota Indians, as the lands were granted to be theirs by treaty, and people poured in to seek their fortunes.
By 1876, Deadwood was little more than a mining camp, but as with typical gold rush towns, the primary buildings were devoted to 'entertainment'.
One of these was the Nuttal & Mann saloon, known as #10 (named for placer claim #10 on the location where it was built).

Wild Bill Hickok, only 39 years old, but suffering failing sight had decided to use his gambling skills, and pretty much 'put up his guns' (his reputation as a pistoleer well established with his pair of Colt M1851 Navy .36 cal. revolvers).
What better place than the bustling Deadwood?

As always, the 'lore' around 'gunfights' and 'gunfighters' is so remarkably distorted, but colorful, despite being usually far from truth. The thing we know for sure is that on that fateful day, Aug. 2, 1876, he had reluctantly taken a seat at the poker game with his back to the door, against his cardinal rule of always being back against the wall to see all activity around him.

He held what forever became known as 'the dead mans hand', aces and eights. Jack McCall cowardly shot him in the head from behind.

In collecting weapons, most of us cannot expect to find or own the 'actual' arms used by these fabled figures in history, but we can own examples 'of the type', to know and experience what the real ones were like.

As mentioned, Wild Bill (James Butler Hickok, 1837-1876) favored the M1851 Colt Navy .36 cal. and my example is actually a London Colt, but looks the same. These were made by Samuel Colt in London from 1854-1856, and by the serial # mine was produced in 1856, and has London address on the barrel.
Hickok's guns had ivory grips, but the appearance otherwise is pretty much the same in my example.

On that day in August, Bill had a Smith & Wesson #2, .32 rimfire in his coat pocket. These were produced 1861-1874, by serial # mine was made in 1863.
These were sold to Union officers heavily in the war.
Hickoks was a 6" barrel, mine is 5 1/2.

The original #10 saloon was destroyed by the fire that destroyed the town in 1879. Another 'fascimile' was built later, already beginning to capitalize on the Wild Bill attraction. We traveled through there several years ago, and of course, the entire scene centers on this. There is the 'chair' that Wild Bill was said to be sitting in (actually NOT, he was on a stool).

But these
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote