Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th February 2014, 04:26 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default VOC BLADES

In discussions on the ethnographic forum we have been discussing the Sinhalese kastane, and with many of these they are mounted with blades with the VOC balemark along with large block letter dates. It seems the dates are invariably 18th century from 1730s to 1770s. .

I thought that it would be good to post this query here since clearly these are European blades in origin, though often found in ethnographic circumstances. Actually that was one of the reasons this forum was founded, for larger scope study of the arms from European context found in so many ethnographic weapons.

Would anyone be able to help in posting blades with VOC balemarks and dates? I am also curious why these large dates (years) were emblazoned on the blades, but only in that span of years in the 18th century . Would these have been an inventory related marking system?

I would be most grateful for any assistance, thank you.
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote