Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2022, 07:21 AM   #1
Anthony G.

Default Keris identification

Hi All

Let us play a game to identify the possible original sources of making for this modern made keris, from dress to bilah. There is a purpose for this game and I will share it later.

Identification mainly on:

Bilah source
Warangka source
Painting source
Pendok source
Attached Images

Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2022, 03:45 AM   #2
rasdan

What I know is that the components can be sourced throughout out Indonesia. Except the blade. Blade is very most likely Madura. Common sources IMHO:

Blade - Madura
Sheath - Can be anywhere, but probably Lombok. Timoho from Lombok is spread everywhere in Java. Many Jogja craftsmen have them.
Pendok/silverworks - probably Lombok or Jogja
Sunggingan - Maybe Bali, Solo, Jakarta

There are thousands of craftsmen throughout Indonesia. From the lowest quality to the best. The best usually work only for a few paymasters. Even dealers do not know all craftsmen. Even in Solo some craftsmen are unknown to some dealers. But I could be wrong though.

Last edited by rasdan; 23rd December 2022 at 03:58 AM.
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2022, 04:34 AM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I agree with the take Ras has on this piece.

So many possible sources for the different parts of this keris ensemble. One element from here, one element from there.
It's all new work.

And..?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2022, 04:35 AM   #4
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasdan View Post
What I know is that the components can be sourced throughout out Indonesia. Except the blade. Blade is very most likely Madura. Common sources IMHO:

Blade - Madura
Sheath - Can be anywhere, but probably Lombok. Timoho from Lombok is spread everywhere in Java. Many Jogja craftsmen have them.
Pendok/silverworks - probably Lombok or Jogja
Sunggingan - Maybe Bali, Solo, Jakarta

There are thousands of craftsmen throughout Indonesia. From the lowest quality to the best. The best usually work only for a few paymasters. Even dealers do not know all craftsmen. Even in Solo some craftsmen are unknown to some dealers. But I could be wrong though.

You are right in many aspects in your reply. Let wait for more members to guess before I give out the final answers.
Old 23rd December 2022, 11:50 AM   #5
jagabuwana

Blade is Madura. I think I know which pande made it.
No idea on the others.
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2022, 07:17 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

I agree that these days the origin of the parts of such a keris can be gathered from numerous sources. I could guess and say, yeah, the blade is probably from Madura, the sunggungan looks Javanese to me, etc., but the problem here is that for newly made keris, as we move more and more forward in time, the separations of cultures seems to become more and ore generic. Certainly this keris is intended to represent Balinese form and aesthetic, the the crafts people who make all these parts are no longer restricted to their own corner off the archipelago. What you have here is a nice modern art keris that could have been assembled from parts created in a number of different places.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2022, 01:23 AM   #7
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I agree that these days the origin of the parts of such a keris can be gathered from numerous sources. I could guess and say, yeah, the blade is probably from Madura, the sunggungan looks Javanese to me, etc., but the problem here is that for newly made keris, as we move more and more forward in time, the separations of cultures seems to become more and ore generic. Certainly this keris is intended to represent Balinese form and aesthetic, the the crafts people who make all these parts are no longer restricted to their own corner off the archipelago. What you have here is a nice modern art keris that could have been assembled from parts created in a number of different places.
I love your answer