Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th June 2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Rust Collector

Default Paleo knife?

I just found this in the wash behind my house! My expertise in this area is limited but my educated guess is paleo butchering knife.
Attached Images

Rust Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 06:07 PM   #2
katana

The pictures suggest that it is a sedimentary type rock ....which tend to be relatively soft ...when compared to flint etc.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Atlantia

Sorry Rust,
looks natural to me. As David says, looks like a soft material.
If it was chert or flint then...
I'd still think it was a random shape.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 06:37 PM   #4
Rust Collector

My pictures are lacking and I will try to get a better shot of the edge. It is also a river find so the edges are rounded a litttle but it cleary shows percusion and pressure flacking and the base is ground round where it would be held.
Rust Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 10:58 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Collector
My pictures are lacking and I will try to get a better shot of the edge. It is also a river find so the edges are rounded a litttle but it cleary shows percusion and pressure flacking and the base is ground round where it would be held.
I think the point the others are trying to make is that this is not a suitable material for the type of tool you are hoping this is. Paleo man didn't hold any college degrees, but he had "street" smarts. Sedimentary rock would not be his mineral of choice for such a tool.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 11:22 PM   #6
spiral

I must say on a purley factual level some stone age tools were of sedimentry rocks, I guess people on occasion used whatever was to hand.I agree the were not the tool or weapon of choice of course though.

But having seen many thousands of admitadly mostly mesolithic tools dug & itemsed, as well as having owned & studied the personal collection of an archaelogist that was aquired & dug from m 3 continents mostly between the world wars, I tottaly agree with evryone else this is a possibly frost & or certanly mechanichly damaged & water rolled stone, shaped by the forces of nature.

Many Victorian archaelogists fell for their charms as well, there often called Eoliths.

Some still believe in them. Ive even wanted to myself on one occasion.

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote