Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th March 2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Iain

Default Takouba scabbard for ID

Hi guys,

I'm sure everyone is sick of my incessant takouba posts, but... This one is a little different.

I recently won this (well yesterday ) at auction. I am very pleased because it is an extremely nice sword with a great blade but also because the scabbard is unusual and I am hoping it will lead me to another ethnic group to add to my list of takouba using peoples.

The images attached are the only ones I have for the moment. I've made an enhanced image of the scabbard as well.

The scabbard doesn't have any metal fittings like most takouba. The two suspension mounts have "buttons" on top that remind me of Mandingo work. But I don't think this is from that culture. The paneling and designs I can't really place.

Any ideas? The sword was auctioned in France, which probably indicates a French colonial area to take a look in - not that that narrows it down much!

Best regards,

Iain
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Martin Lubojacky

Hi Iain, dear Takouba-man.
Nobody is comming, so I will try first. I have never seen such sheath before and I did not find similar on the picture. So I am just giving an idea for disposal: the motives reminds me (partially) geometric designs on Nupe stools. I know - Nupe have been living in Nigeria, but there are French people, too (e.g Nigeria is allegedly the biggest business partner of France in Africa South of Sahara - despite the fact it is not francophone country...).
Regards,
Martin
P.S.
Very nice Takouba - especially due to scabbard !
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Iain

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for commenting. I am still hoping others will as well even if the topic is a little "obscure".

About the Nupe possibility - I see what you mean. There is similarity in the line designs. I just thought Nupe were using more typical Hausa/Sahel style takouba scabbards.

Like on this link: http://collection-online.moa.ubc.ca/...yearend=&row=5

Or in the image I am attaching - also showing sword with Nupe attribution.

I will keep searching - there must be some other example. But it could be Nupe, typically we only see work from Bida I think and of course there were other Nupe cities.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote