Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th January 2012, 05:02 PM   #1
carlos

Default Need help to identify, seems spanish colonial sword

Hello!!
I just adquired in Ebay this sword, then description of the seller was OBTAINED FROM AN ESTATE COLLECTION
CIRCA LATE 1800'S
MARKED JURMANN.
THIS PHENOMENAL SWORD HAS FANTASTIC DETAIL AND FABULOUS PRIMITIVE HAND CRAFTED QUALITY WORKMANSHIP.
THE SWORD HAND GUARD IS IRON HAS BEAUTIFUL ORNATE ETCHED DECORATION IN EXQUISITE DETAIL WITH SWIRL TWIST HANDLE BAND EXTENDING FROM THE HAND GUARD TO THE POMMEL TOP WHICH HAS A BRASS END PIECE WITH OLD RIVETED CONNECTION.
THE GRIP HANDLE IS HAND CARVED OF GORGEOUS BURL HARD WOOD WITH CARVED FINGER GROOVES.
THE BLADE IS FORGED STEEL, AND FEATURES A FULLER GROOVE, DESIGNED TO INCREASE THE STRENGTH & FLEXIBILITY OF THE SWORD
THE BLADE IS MARKED: JURMANN
MEASURES: SWORD OVERALL LENGTH: 37 3/4".
THE BLADE MEASURES: 32 1/2" LONG X 1 1/4" WIDE AT THE WIDEST POINT TAPERING UNIFORMLY TO THE TIP.
THE HAND GUARD MEASURES: 4 1/2" DIAMETER

After see photos and read description I had thought it could be a spanish colonial sword, What do you think?
I hope I made a good deal.
thanks in advance
best regards
carlos
Attached Images

carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Brazilian espada, form seen in this and perhaps other Central American regions but known examples with this hilt dated 1850s in Brazil. Another example with early 19th c. British blade.

Carl Jurman worked in Solingen 1848-68, some of his blades were exported by the firm Maas & Schoveling to New York hardware and sword dealer Herman Boker in 1861.

How the blade was redirected to trade to South America anybodys guess but puts the sword as probably mounted around 1860s.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 09:38 AM   #3
carlos

Default Thanks

Thank you very much, I known the maker but not the sword was brazilina.
thanks again
carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote