Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th February 2022, 03:34 AM   #1
Cathey

Default Hunting Tulwar (Tulwar Shikargah)

Hi Guys

Jens Nordlunde mentioned that the Indian Arms and Armour collectors have been very quiet for some time on this site so I thought I might try and kick it off again.

Whilst we are predominantly early British sword collectors, our interest in Indian Arms and Armour has been renewed of late and we have even started buying again.

After acquiring this Indian Hunting Tulwar (Tulwar Shikargah) I have decided to attempt writing an article on Indian Hunting weapons for my Society Magazine Barrels and Blades. However, I have really not been able to track down a great deal of information on these (plenty of examples but not much text) and I am hoping that some of the forum members might be able to contribute more insight into this unusual family of swords and daggers. I know they come in a large variety of forms from Tulwar to Shamshire, even Katars etc.

Even the spelling of the name for this variety of edged weapon varies greatly including: Tulwar Shikargah / Shamshir Shikargar / shamshir shikargarh/ SHIKARI OR SHIKARGAHA.

This project is becoming expensive as I have already felt the need to increase my library.

What I found interesting in this particular Tulwar is that the hunting scenes vary on each side and the number of animals included.

Regards Cathey
Attached Images

Cathey is offline   Reply With Quote