Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd September 2023, 07:33 PM   #1
C4RL

Default Yatagan blade, any info welcome.

Hello All, this is my first post seeking information from the knowledgeable folks on here. 👍
This is a Yatagan blade (that much I know!) that I pulled out of a house clearance trash bin many years ago. It was a lump of rust with the remainder of a horn handle in a terrible split & hairy state pushed off the blade with rust.

There was a brass embossed typical triangle on one side & the frayed remains of some fine brass wire, knowing nothing at the time (20 years ago) I sanded it by hand & presumed it was carbon steel, & made the oak handle you now see.

Roll on another 15 years or so & I read something that made me wonder if it might be pattern welded, a quick try with Ferric Cloride looked promising so after a few ferric & vinegar soaks in a bent pvc pipe this is where I am.

Please forgive the handle, but to be honest the original was ruined & if I hadn’t picked it up it would be in a land fill now!
Any info welcome.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 4th September 2023 at 05:16 AM.
C4RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2023, 05:06 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Carl,

The central pattern on your blade resembles "Turkish ribbon," which has been discussed elsewhere on the Ethnographic Forum. Your pictures are very large. I will resize them. Perhaps you could post smaller ones next time so that they will fit on a single screen rather than having to scroll across. The recommended file sizes are listed in the "Manage Attachments" section of the Thread Post page.

This looks like a very good save. Nice old blade. BTW, I think the handle looks fine and appropriate for an old garbage bin find.

Ian

Last edited by Ian; 4th September 2023 at 05:19 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2023, 10:49 AM   #3
C4RL

Thank's for your reply Ian, and sorry about the large images, I made the mistake of linking them which I realised afterwards isn't appropriate! Sorry.

I shall have a search for "Turkish ribbon". Thank you.
Old 5th September 2023, 12:58 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Oh this Turkish blade is wonderful. The only addition I would make is that this could come from Turkey proper.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2023, 08:53 AM   #5
C4RL

Thank you Battara.

After reading up on Turkish ribbon I have a question, I understand the stacking of the twisted bars & my blade has four quite distinct ones along the centre, but what is the composition of the bars that make the cutting edge & spine?

Having looked at other blades of similar construction the spine & edge bars look much plainer, am I correct in assuming this is welded up from the same steel/iron as the pattern bars but a much finer "mix"?

Because my blade was so rusty & required a lot of etching I'm guessing it's this that is showing as fine mix of random & some straighter lines?
Old 9th September 2023, 01:23 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

I would say yes to your question. In fact, it makes sense that it would be more horizontal laminations for stiffness and hardened steel (not iron).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2023, 09:17 PM   #7
C4RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara View Post
I would say yes to your question. In fact, it makes sense that it would be more horizontal laminations for stiffness and hardened steel (not iron).
Thank you.