View Single Post
Old 1st May 2014, 08:19 PM   #18
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Good David! and I appreciate you explaining your explanation, as I took your note that perhaps if the topic posted was placed 'properly' on the other forum to mean that it must have been 'improperly' placed here on the ethnographic forum. That was to me, for some inexplicable reason, confusing as for the many decades I have studied arms I suddenly and awkwardly felt I had been incorrect in thinking of yataghans as ethnographic.

It was however so kind of you to express your concerns toward the probable reason this thread received no response, and of course the point is that arbitrary categorization as to which forum the topic of Cretan weapons, including yataghans is probably irrelevant. It seems that kris topics are posted as often on the ethnographic forum as on the kris forum, and the discussions seem to progress acceptably despite the location of posting.
My last words Jim, and then hopefully this thread can move forward.
Please read what i wrote again, this time with emphasis placed on certain words. "Perhaps that is because these items might be more properly placed in the European Forum…" If i knew for sure i probably would have written something more like "These weapons should be put in their proper place, the European Forum. The divisions here have always been a bit vague to me. So my use of "perhaps" and "might". It was merely a suggestion.
Regarding kris, Moro kris are never discussed in the Keris Forum. They are always Ethno. And Indonesian keris are never discussed in Ethno. Certainly the addition of the Keris Forum might seem strange to some, as they are indeed ethnographic weapons as well. However, the culture of keris was so complex and specific that Rick saw the need and when he asked me to help i agreed that they were best discussed in their own forum. We have, of course, seen some forum like SFI weakened by it's very extensive division of weapons into way too many separated forums. So far i think we have done pretty well with just our three. But all these divisions are artificial at best. Let's see if we can now take this discussion elsewhere (as i do think it is valuable) and get on with Drack2's weapons.
David is offline   Reply With Quote