View Single Post
Old 1st May 2014, 07:06 PM   #15
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I'm not going to press this issue as i don't really care where these weapons are discussed. Again, i was simply trying to offer an explanation for why this thread may not have received more attention. However, i must point out that the inclusion of Greece into Europe is not some modern convenience of the European Union. Greece has ALWAYS been part of Europe. In fact, the name itself is of Greek origin (Europa from Greek Mythogy.The story of her abduction by Zeus in the form of a white bull was a Cretan story.), first used in the 6th century BC by Greek geographers.
Salaams David, Regarding Greece. Surely it ought to be considered not in respect of where it is today but where it was in the building bricks of history and regional traditions...that is in Asia ...at least partly so...and in relation to its influence and that of its major neighbors...particularly Turkey... in culture, dress, architecture, ethnographic arms and armour , style, food , ....and pretty well everything.

Quote'';Greece (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

- Independence declared from the Ottoman Empire 1 January 1822
- Recognized 3 February 1830
- Current constitution 11 June 1975
- Joined the EU 1 January 1981

Greece is strategically located at the crossroads of Europe, Western Asia, and Africa, and shares land borders with Albania to the northwest, the Republic of Macedonia and Bulgaria to the north and Turkey to the northeast. The country consists of nine geographic regions: Macedonia, Central Greece, the Peloponnese, Thessaly, Epirus, the Aegean Islands (including the Dodecanese and Cyclades), Thrace, Crete, and the Ionian Islands. The Aegean Sea lies to the east of the mainland, the Ionian Sea to the west, and the Mediterranean Sea to the south. Greece has the longest coastline on the Mediterranean Basin and the 11th longest coastline in the world at 13,676 km (8,498 mi) in length, featuring a vast number of islands (approximately 1,400, of which 227 are inhabited). Eighty percent of Greece consists of mountains, of which Mount Olympus is the highest, at 2,917 m (9,570 ft).

Modern Greece traces its roots to the civilization of Ancient Greece, beginning with the Bronze Age's Aegean Civilizations, and is considered the cradle of all Western civilization. As such, it is the birthplace of democracy, Western philosophy, the Olympic Games, Western literature and historiography, political science, major scientific and mathematical principles, and Western drama, including both tragedy and comedy. The cultural and technological achievements of Greece greatly influenced the world, with many aspects of Greek civilization being imparted to the East through Alexander the Great's campaigns, and to the West through the Roman Empire. This rich legacy is partly reflected in the 18 UNESCO World Heritage Sites located in Greece, ranking it 6th in Europe and 13th in the world.

The modern Greek state, which comprises much of the historical core of Greek civilization, was established in 1830 following the Greek War of Independence from the Ottoman Empire."Unquote.

Thus in Forum terms it would be folly to simply reclassify Greece as "European" Whilst it is technically in the west it is most definitely "Ethnographic" in essence....

I am reminded that one of the most ardent Grecian followers were the Abbasiid dynasty...!!

Common sense dictates a strategy of understanding its important role in Ethnographic terms.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 1st May 2014 at 07:21 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote