View Single Post
Old 20th March 2024, 09:15 PM   #6
G. Mansfield

Thanks everyone for your information and input. I have researched more on some of the terminology regarding parts of a keris and blade, along with this style of this blade and hilt. I now have a slightly better understanding and a greater appreciation for his keris which had little attention given to it up until now.

After a closer look…the selut / mendak are not silver but a white metal, probably a mixture of a different alloys. They are two separate pieces but the “mendak” is attached through bent taps clamping the “selut” with it. The wood hilt is lined with a very old brittle fabric, possibly used as a spacer. The blade is also in fact covered with a black coating which I had not noticed before, very nice eye! This is confirmed by rubbing the bottom of the ganja and finding the black residue flake off. I am assuming it was applied by the museum to prevent further deterioration of the blade, as it seems quite old and somewhat brittle in areas. I have not decided if I am going to restore the blade or leave it be as I have never done so before. After boiling the blade as stated, what is recommended for the stain? I want to make sure that the blade stays stable and does not lose its integrity and to see if any pattern is present and to preserve it if I choose to do so.
Attached Images

G. Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote