View Single Post
Old 6th April 2021, 05:35 AM   #15
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
W.F.Sinclair, 'the Indian Antiquary', Vol. II, p.216-17, Aug.1873

"...perhaps the most popular of all native weapons is the lohangi or longi kati-or ironbound bamboo: specially affected by Ramusis' and village watchmen.
I have one weighing six pounds, which was the property of a Koli dakait called Bugunya Naik who used to carry this in his left hand and a sheathless patti in his right when on service. Bagunya however disdained ordinarily to use his right hand or his trenchant blade but was content upon common occasions to rely on the club in his left, with which he actually knocked down two men in the affray that caused his final apprehension. "

The term 'Koli' apparently was used in regions of Gujerat to describe lawless people, but the Koli as a people were interpolated with the Bhil people. The term 'dacoit' (Sinclair notes 'dakait') means highwaymen or robbers.
This likely corresponds to the individual Sinclair describes and the 'affray' in which he was apprehended.

It would appear that the blades/flanges on the head of these clubs may have come from the 'bladed' maces termed 'shashbur' (the word means six bladed but they may have 6,7 or 8). These were used by Mughals but of course Rajputs as well ("Islamic Arms and Armor of Muslim India", Dr. S.Z.Haider, Lahore, 1991, p.226).
These Koli often assimilated into the Rajput ethnicity so influence would be of course likely.
Hi Jim,

The Koli people are still found in Gujarat today. I worked with a large group of them and studied the nutritional status of their children (which was surprisingly good compared with the nutrition of locally resident children). The Koli are nomadic itinerant workers and move—homes and families—from major town to major town. Snake charming, magic tricks, making of trinkets and charms are their means of making a living. Local residents treat them with disdain and suspicion, relegating them to the class of "untouchables." While nominally Hindus, the Koli are known to eat meat also (which likely helps improve the nutrition of their children by increasing the intake of iron, protein, and vitamins).

In many ways the Koli resemble the Romani of Europe. Indeed, there may be a direct relationship with the Romani (gypsies) who speak a language very similar to Gujarati. Reputable anthropologists have explored the genetic and cultural links between the Romani and the Koli.

The Koli of today could hardly be called dacoit. They may partake in petty larceny, but they are a peaceful group in my experience and of a rather likeable disposition when I got to know them. Of course, the fact that their group was paid a fee for the privilege of studying their children's height and weight and obtaining nutritional histories, may have had something to do with why they interacted positively with me. Being an old white Sahib with a beard was probably a help too.

In the group of Koli whom I studied there were also Bhil people traveling with them. However, the Bhil were definitely subordinate to the Koli in terms of where they were allowed to encamp and their share of funds collected by the overall group. The Bhil children were also more undernourished than the Koli children.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote