View Single Post
Old 6th May 2021, 08:38 PM   #9
Nihl

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel View Post
I'm far from being an authority on Indian arms, but I have suspicions about the authenticity of this sword: the blade seems of recent manufacture to me. But as I said, I'm no expert.
Yeah this is a definitely a modern blade attached to an old hilt. Damascus blades historically were used on Indian swords in the late 18th (I believe? some greater expert please correct me if wrong) to 19th centuries, but they were of a very simple low-layer pattern, that actually did resemble flowing water like wootz did. Modern high-layer damascus blades like the one in this post only appeared in the 20th century I believe.

In regards to the hilt, funnily enough, it's relatively modern too. This hilt form is thought to be Rajasthani/Udaipuri in origin, and it developed during the 19th century, which, although 200 years ago, was during the time when India was being heavily colonized and thus many martial things (including swords & sword hilts) were becoming more symbolic and ritual in nature, and less based on practicality/usefulness.

Name-game wise, I'd just call it a sword lol. I don't think the assemblage is serious enough that it deserves semantic arguing. Kirach probably works best. Or just call it a straight-bladed tulwar
Nihl is offline   Reply With Quote