View Single Post
Old 16th May 2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Spunjer

Default Magical Kampilan

after seeing battara's Kampy, i felt the urge to post this beaut. for some reason, Kampilans don't get as much exposure as the krises and barungs..

sometimes, acquiring a particular piece is an adventure itself.
i saw this kampilan a few months ago on an online auction. being a sucker for moro blades with mystical symbols, i decided to bid on the lot (this was being auction with some other moro blades). well, cheap that i am, i was left in the dust. fast forward a couple weeks after that, i was talking to a fellow forumite and i happened to mention that auction. i also mentioned about how i got beat on that one lot. come to find out, he won that particular lot, and he was actually gunning for a different blade. so, make a long story short, i ended up with one cool kampy...

I have always wonder why kampilans blades were not prime candidate when it comes to having talismanic symbols on the blade. i have one, but i haven't seen another one ever since, and never saw one that has a naga symbol on it., until this one popped up.
This particular piece is a beast, size wise. largest and heaviest i've ever handled. just the blade itself is 33 inches long, with about close to a quarter inch thickness closest to the handle. very hefty piece. i've included a picture comparing my largest kampilan before i acquired this. the symbols are inlayed in silver. one thing peculiar is the plainness of the handle. it's also missing grips on the handle, something i'm pretty sure it wasn't there from the beginning. i notice this same pattern (decorated blade, plain handle) on my naga kris. i wonder if there's a correlation to this?
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote