View Single Post
Old 17th August 2006, 01:11 PM   #25
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valjhun
I've found a probable answer:

From R. Elgoods, Hindu arms and Ritual:
"While form and decoration on European arms generally follow effective function, in Hindu weaponry functional efficiency was achieved by designing arms according to ancient rules in order to attract the goddes to take up residence. Her presence made them effective on the battledield while prophylactic motifs similar to those found on temples protected the user if the weapon against malevolent spirits attracted by vilence. These ornate weapons ebabled the king and his warriors to fight for the preservation of the ideal Hindu state."

Is that the case? What do you think?
This is certainly true regarding the Newar, Nair or temple swords that were strictly used in rituals. I have several that were used by the Theyyam of Kerala / Malabar.

Pictured below is one of these temple swords, held by a Theyyam in trance. He has become the goddess.

I will post a thread on my sword I have soon as I can take some pictures.

Silver was an important metal. The 18th c sword I have is solid silver with brass or bronze sideplates. The newer swords, like the one pictured below are sadly no longer silver due to the expense.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote