View Single Post
Old 9th June 2006, 08:11 AM   #3
Valjhun

Thumbs up

Well, I must dissagree with both of you.

That is definetly a 17th century piece (according to Tirri) and I like it verry much, almost totaly of my taste. The darkest piece I've ever seen. Nice clean job. Nice welded steel construction (maybe even wootz the owner will have to ethch it) When I saw it I asked myself if Tirri is selling his collection out, but at a closer look thatone is a little different, from the one in his book, but still enoughly similar that would form a pair.

Use as a weapon? Well , it has to be used by one of those schwartzie looking, two meter tall guys dressed with red tourbans and white pants It's efficiency as a weapon is questionable. Verry intimidating, yes, but... Well i would guess that it is quite balanced compared to a tegha, the weight of the blade is greatly reduced by the split. The split on most Dhul Fagars I've seen is really very weak points, but definetly no thatone. Beeig made from welded steel it makes it verry flexible and still the blade is quite thick. That hole Erlikhan, has a function, I suppose, Just immagine a tulwar blade beeing trapped there. Further the serrated blade in combination with its weight would be great in tearing apart chainmail. Not a decoration piece at all, just a different view of combat style. Comparing it to a tulwar or a firanghi, it would be the same if you compare the style of combat between a rapier and a german two handed panzersticher.

Well all, I have said about its battle use is pure speculation, as I haven't handlle it. Yes SenSei, it could be terrible to handle.

just my 0,02$, but

I LIKE IT!

I'm really looking forward comments from B.I., Jens, Jim, Lew and other masters of Indian Weapons.

P.S.: "I always wanted one of those but one has to set priorities." SenSei, If you have in mind what I know you have, ending on 12 june with a curved blade... It will be a hard master to pupil battle

Last edited by Valjhun; 9th June 2006 at 10:26 AM.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote