View Single Post
Old 21st September 2020, 06:39 PM   #24
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I thought it would be helpful to add some illustrations from Neumann, "Swords and Blades of the American Revolution" , 1973.
We now are reasonably certain that the 15th light dragoons, the first of the new regiments begun in 1759 were using a unique type of sword, the recurved guard form previously discussed.

The next two regiments were the 16th and 17th.
The 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st were in place by 1760.

It seems that a simple hilt, with 'four slot' guard was used by some of these units, with the 16th and 17th most likely and the tall olive pommel appears regularly associated with these hilts. The blades were essentially straight, slight curve, and 34" to 37". (279.S).

Note 282.S , the lionhead with recurved quillon , the blade is notably with clipped tip, the date noted suggests as early as 1759, the origin of the light dragoon units.

Note 280.S another light dragoon sword included in the mysterious 1759 to 1770 grouping, but this one has the pommel 'ring' feature as seen on my example.
The 'test' in 1756 for light dragoons used a brass, heart shape hilt (sim. to 1751 hangers) ...and this sword appears to have heart shape (also with quillon) but openwork rather than solid, two branches added and above all...note the pommel ring.

Post #16 shows a light dragoon like mine, with pommel ring, but is not identified. There appears to be a 16 on the blade at forte.

Is it possible this was a light dragoon to 16th (perhaps 17th) as with the swords produced 1759-into 60s for these units ?
The ring pommel as I had mentioned earlier, was of form used in basket hilts (1750s) as well as the dragoon sword (280.S).

So this put my example in the early forms of light dragoon, 1760s?

The clipped point seems around earlier as well (the lionhead, 15th? 282.S)

By the 1770s, the 16th still using the clipped point, four slot..........see image of a trooper where clipped point visible (these paintings are keen on detail).

So Nathaniel Potter in New York City in 1778 is making his famed 'POTTER' swords , BASED on British light dragoon swords in use.
It looks remarkably like my example but with globular pommel, no ring guard and much heavier.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 21st September 2020 at 07:07 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote