View Single Post
Old 29th May 2020, 10:23 PM   #25
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Yes ... the four arms cross, allegedly shown up in CARAVACA (Murcia), after some legendary story, is one more symbol used for mystic purposes, like MIN SENAL HES ... and others, like Christ in a crucified position but without the cross. At this contextual stage, i gather that they are no more than 'marketing' symbols to entice the believer's preference. The combination of the four arms cross with the crucified Christ in it, occurred to me due to a sword that i owned having such dual motif (pictures attached not pretending to divert from the original subject). Whether the blade in discussion, so as the other two in the same context, are connected to actual religious lobbies, is something i would humbly decline. Also to remember something that we often tend to forget is that, blades come from one maker (even country of origin) and hilts come from another ... this right counting from the sword's original production date.
Concerning the concept of Colonial, i wonder how this typology may be attributed here, as 'Colonial' for Americans is one thing and for Portuguese is another; while i presume that, when such term is (often) approached in this venue, it refers more to Spanish Americas than to Portuguese India and other Asian territories.
On the angle of judging the age of a (cuphilt) sword based on its construction simplicity, i would rather follow the reasoning that, high end Roperas for a noble man (or a street fencer) is one thing and austere Espadas for a soldier is another... whichever the period in question.

Actually, I cannot imagine anyone who studies or collects swords forgetting
that blades and hilts are separate entities. I have seldom, if ever, encountered a sword whose blade and hilt were from the same source.
This is why books like "The Rapier & Small Sword" (AVB Norman, 1980) focused on the hilt designs, and Mr. Norman noted that blades were not addressed as they are from entirely separate sources and nothing to do with the study of hilts.

Naturally the use of the symbolism, devices and invocations, mottos and phrases are known to have been used by various brotherhoods, orders and fraternities, so there are cases where particular ones were favored by certain ones. This was much in the way where certain devices such as cross and orb and others were favored by certain makers though not actually their marking as registered.

The 'colonial' term is indeed a most relative term, and probably more often than not misused. For my own perspectives, pertaining mostly to Spanish colonial, these were weapons of notable simplicity, made in the fashion of the
typically higher end examples. For me, these weapons which are in fact, often munitions grade, have a genuine rustic and rugged charm which I admire.
This particular example is very much so, and regardless of where or when it was used, it is a remarkable sword.

Much as with many forms of swords, heirloom or trophy blades are often remounted into all manner of hilts, so seeing older blades in later hilts is not uncommon. I always think of Spanish colonial sabers which have the Spanish motto dragoon broadsword blades (usually c. 1820s with three bar guards). Obviously it is strange to have a broadsword blade on a saber hilt.

It is always good to see a nice sword example bring forth a good discussion on evaluating the particulars of the item
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote