Thread: Morrocan sboula
View Single Post
Old 12th March 2020, 05:40 PM   #1
Yvain

Default Morrocan sboula

Hi everyone !

For your consideration, here is a classic morrocan sboula that I finally took the time to properly clean.

As always, the hilt is made of two pieces (or scales) of horn, riveted to the tang. I noticed that the shape of the hilt is assymmetrical, the piece that sits in the palm of the hand is thicker and rounder, while the finger lay on a flater scale ; it can also be noted that the scale adorned with grooves, originally filled with twisted latten wires (there is a little bit left), is the one that sits in the palm of the hand. Whether this design is intentional or not is up to debate, but it is sure that it provides an excellent grip on the weapon, reinforced by the « H » shape of the hilt itself that locks the hand in place ; it would be interesting to determine if those design choices are also found on other sboulas …

Moving on to the blade, I noted that it was stabilized with a small latten wedge under the guard to avoid any rattle ; interestingly, this is really similar to what I've seen done on original medieval sword for the same purpose, it also makes me think that this sboula was intented to be used, as the fix is rather crude and would have no use on a purely decorative weapon.

The blade itself is most likely a repurposed and reprofiled european saber blade, considering the regularity of its shape, and the fact that the point of the blade remains really thick, as if it had been shortened ; we can also see that the fullers continue under the guard (although the horn was shapped to fill them). However, even if I don't think the blade to be local, the reprofiling is, in my opinion, really neat and was done with a lot of care. I think that the original blade might have some age, as it shows traces of delamination on its edge (so maybe pre-1850). The edge itself is still somewhat sharp, and shows what looks like to be two old impact traces near the guard, again making me think that this sboula was probably used.

The blade also shows, on each side, the usual imitative illiterate markings (proof of quality, apotropaic phrase or something else ? I'm not really sure about this to be honest …). Here, it seems to be a repeat of two letters (« N » and « B »?), separated by groups of four dots, and flanked by two pair of eyelashes.

Full lengh is : 54,5cm
Hilt lenght is : 11,1cm
Point of balance is : ~8,8cm away from the guard
Weight is : 262g

From what I gathered (mostly on this forum, to be honest), this is a classic morrocan weapon. However, I've seen at least two other examples really similar to mine here (with a horn hilt), but also some with a latten covered hilt, slightly differently shaped, and usually a latten sheath reminiscent of genoui ones. Where do you think the difference lays between those two types ? Age or provenance ? I do know tunisian sboulas do exist, so it might be the later. Also, when, approximately, do you think mine was made ? I wasn't able to find informations about the period those were made and used.

Anyway, thanks for your attention and your answers, and sorry for my flimsy english !
Attached Images

Yvain is offline   Reply With Quote