View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2023, 08:41 AM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Hi Ian, Does the profile of the pommel have the look of being from Davao and have you seen a similar material utilized in a Lumad or Moro hilt? Thanks.
Hi Kino,

In reply to you questions. Yes, the pommel has the general shape of Bagobo/Tagakaolo (aka Kaolo, Kaolu) hilts. I've attached a compilation of Bagobo/Tagakaolo hilts. The top left one shows the horizintal lines similar to your hilt. The three top left and the one bottom right are typical Bagobo/Tagakaolu hilts and show the same general profile to the pommel of your barung. Although you can't see the ends, they have the same lines as on the top left one. Each of these swords is at least a hundred years old.

The bottom left sword is a Datu-class weapon with a familiar high grade Bagobo hilt of traditional style. This sword has a small kampilan blade of excellent quality. It is probably mid-19th C.

The other two are of more recent manufacture (mid-20th C or a little later). The one in the middle on the bottom is a Lumad kris with a unique modern hilt. The top right one is another small kampilan and has a scabbard of a Zamboanga style.

I purchased nearly all of these in the Philippines in the 1990s/early 2000s.

As far as stag, I have not seen stag used on Lumad or Moro swords and knives. I have seen some American GI redos on Luzon knives that have used stag.

Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote