View Single Post
Old 1st December 2007, 11:58 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default The 500 000 pieces of the Daehnhardt collection

It looks like Mr. Rainer Daehnhardt is preparing a Foundation to encompass his collection. It seems as his family members do not share his tastes with similar intensity, so he is assuring that his collection doesn't dilute after he kicks the bucket.
I wanted to know how he would react to the fact that Antonio Cejunior, having written an article about a visit to his mannor house, quoted that he has about 500 000 pieces in his collection. I asked him if this could be a misprint or some misunderstanding, but he accepted the figure with naturality and told me to add up some crude ciphers he picked from his mind:
60000 books
350000 documents
15000 maps
3000 gun locks
50000 coins
20000 weapons
He didn't mention sword pommels, that i know he has a huge amount.
So naturaly the 500 000 pieces were not only arms, but items relative to arms and a whole lot of material connected with antiquity and the discoveries theme.
Questions about the authencity of these figures are something i do not have necessity to raise myself.
But i find it worthy of note that he once had part of this material spread into nine simultaneous exhibitions.
In a most recent event at the "Cordoaria" in Lisbon, he has shown 10 000 objects.
I guess there aren't many collections of such dimension out there.
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote