View Single Post
Old 31st August 2015, 09:20 PM   #25
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

The Sword of Ivan the Terrible or....?

Salaams all...On rereading Heraldic Symbols I am reminded of the shorthand nature of that entire structure but I am also inclined to use the same analogy on blade inscriptions... Mediaeval Shorthand. What I find amazing(and there are many amazing twists with these blades ) is that there appears to be a network; perhaps a monastic linkage across vast regions where it seems sword-makers possibly attached or part of the clergy moved with freedom practicing their art-form ..was this a way of funding a particular religious body?...was this done to fund religious visits/pilgrimages?...or was the work done in different countries and regions by sometimes the same craftsman purely a co incidental affair?...I doubt the latter.

Since I harp on about shorthand here is what the report at reference says about the script...

Quote"The main inscription reads: N[omine] M[atris] N[ostri] S[alva]t[ORis] Et[eRni] D[omini] S[alvatoRis] E[teRni], with an additional one on the same side of the blade saying C[hRis]t[us] Ih[esus] C[hRis]t[us]. This means:'In the name of the mother of our saviour eternal, eternal Lord and Saviour. Christ Jesus Christ.'

The inscription on the reverse side is harder to read, but the first word 'NOMENE' - clearly seen - helps reconstruct the rest as 'N[omine] O[mnipotentis]. M[ateR]. E[teRni] N[omin]e', which means 'In the name of the Almighty. The Mother of God. In the name of Eternal"
.Unquote.

Applying that key to the project sword here at #3 gives a similar string that will decode to illustrate a religious incantation or saying which you can all have a go at...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 31st August 2015 at 09:45 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote