View Single Post
Old 29th August 2015, 09:17 PM   #19
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur
Thoughts about the inscription from others

Some think it may say, in ancient Welsh, "No Cover shall be over me." as though it was never meant to be scabarded, always out and ready to fight.
From the discussion at various links.

Interesting

Not unlike what we see of later terms such as
"No me saques sin razon; no me enbaines sin honor"
"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor"

It is also not unlike some biblical scripture, which is what many are considering. Gloat not over me my enemy, etc

Cheers

GC
Salaams Hotspur ...Yes it could be old Welsh but...as the report goes on to say...there is more to this than meets the eye.

Please see http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/08/can...ear-old-sword/

For example the W from one persons perspective wrote..

Quote ''Any symbology that might appear on that side is very important. From an alphabet perspective, I was immediately struck by the inclusion of the letter W as it wasn’t in general use in that form until some point during the 14th century when it began shifting from begin written as the the digraph to being written as the ligature more frequently as the 15th and 16th centuries approached. I don’t think I would have stopped if it weren’t in the form it is in. In the early versions of the W ligature it is most commonly written as two V’s whose legs cross over each other. Time and scribal laziness eventually eliminate the crossed sections for ease of writing. This particular W letter form has an apex that is half the height of the arms of the W letter suggesting that the engraving was added nearer the 15 or 16th century. It is important to note that the W letter form is used natively in: German, Dutch, English, Welsh, Polish, Walloon and Maltese.

Most romance languages including the Latin of the day did not use the W.
One particularly interesting note, from Marc van Hasselt of Utrecht University’s Hastatus Heritage Consultancy, explained how similar swords have been found all over Europe, bearing similarly inscrutable phrases. According to Hasselt, it seems the “most likely” that the inscriptions are in Latin, though:

Using the excellent research by Thomas Wagner and John Worley, an image of a hugely successful medieval workshop was created, making ‘magical’ swords for the elite. The swords themselves are of a high quality, but what most catches the eye are the inscriptions. Both their mysterious contents and the similarities in the lettering are striking. A sword from Sweden might use the same slightly curved X as the River Witham sword. A sword currently in Berlin has an I-S contraction also used on a sword found in the Netherlands. These similarities go so far as to suggest the same hand in making the inscriptions.

However, their contents are still a mystery, regardless of their origins".Unquote.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote