View Single Post
Old 9th August 2015, 07:56 PM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default The VLFBERHT Sword

If I may begin to collect to Forum documents there are available in terms of these ancient swords and inscriptions starting with The Vlfberht Sword which from Wikipedia I QUOTE "Vlfberht or Ulfbehrt is a modern transcription of the inscription +VLFBERH+T, found on some Early Middle Ages Germanic swords of the 8th to 11th century. Swords so inscribed have been found in many parts of Europe, most numerously in Scandinavia. They are believed to originate from the Taunus region of Germany in what was the Frankish realm.

There are many variations of the inscription, including +VLFBERHT+ and +VLFBERH+T. The inscription is a Frankish personal name and became the basis of a trademark of sorts, used by multiple bladesmiths for several centuries.

In a 2008 paper, Anne Stalsberg, of the Museum of Natural History and Archaeology of Norway, argues that a blacksmith is unlikely to have been literate, and that the presence of crosses in the signature suggest an ecclesiastical or monastic origin. She discusses how the swords may have reached Scandinavia, suggesting smuggling, looting by Vikings, or as ransom for dignitaries captured by Vikings. Much of this work was re-presented (though uncredited to Stalsberg) in detail in the PBS Nova 2012 documentary, Secrets of the Viking Sword.

Most Vlfberht swords are of Oakeshott Type X form. They are forged from excellent steel with a very low content of sulfur and phosphorus and up to 1.1% carbon. This steel was most likely acquired through trade through the Volga trade route, which could have supplied ingots of the steel, obtained ultimately from central Asian cultures, who were producing crucible steel to emulate the famous wootz steel of India.

A 2012 documentary, Secrets of the Viking Sword, showed a blacksmith who specializes in ancient techniques successfully create both a high-quality steel ingot and an inlaid Vlfberht sword from it."UNQUOTE.

It is noted that Anne Stalsberg stated that the blacksmith was unlikely to have been literate and that the material was imported possibly from Asia...This poses two difficulties; firstly in deciding if the blacksmith had made a mistake in the inscription and secondly that trying to tie a sword down to a particular workshop through analysis of the material would be much more difficult...when the materials were being drawn from far afield...i.e. not locally. I also find it interesting that Ann Stalsberg suggests a monastic link because of the crosses because if the swords were associated with a place of learning would not the letters be correct...at least at the time of going to print; so to speak? It would appear that the puzzle we run into in Ethnographic Weaopons these days associated with the "whats in a word" syndrome was as common then as it is now...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote