View Single Post
Old 16th July 2013, 09:55 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Nice Yataghan with 20th century graffiti

As a collector, we seem to have "runs," on a certain type of item, that all of a sudden,things that we haven't seen for a while, appear in batches! I have been finding inscribed blades;this has been great except in this case;someone messed up a very nice yataghan by lightly etching on the blade the following "This sword together with 6 chairs was stolen from the palace in Siam in 1866.They were in a private museum in England until 1936.Purchased by R.H. Sturdivant 1938 Richmond Va.." I could have forgiven him if he had painted it on the blade.The story makes no sense to me because even though there was a strong British presence in Siam/Thailand in 1866, it was never occupied by a European power; if it was a dha, I could almost believe it, but not a yataghan!
This person not only defaced this sword, but probably got a very interesting story wrong.
I have a person, who thinks he can polish the inscription out without damaging the sword, so unless someone in the forum can tell me why I shouldn't, that will be my course of action.
I thank all who read this for your patience, indulging me on my rant !
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote