Thread: Kalkan shield
View Single Post
Old 12th October 2020, 10:53 PM   #12
Philip

Default made for the battlefield or parade field?

Seems to me that something that is both ornamented yet well-designed and crafted of proper materials can function just well on the battlefield as at a ceremonial gala or public display. Look at the late-medieval and Renaissance pavises from Europe, brightly emblazoned with the heraldic emblems relevant to the units which used them. if they were meant just for show by virtue of their colorful décor, they wouldn't have been made so massively (to withstand the force of longbow and crossbow projectiles).

So what are "proper materials" ?

Spirally-wound and tightly bound rattan may seem flimsy to us, but keep in mind that it was widely used in cultures where the material was available or could be obtained through trade, and where cutting and projectile weapons were well-developed. Think most of SE Asia, Tibet, China, etc. I recall reading somewhere that Malay rattan shields were capable of standing up to blows from European naval cutlasses. And note this passage from Stone's Glossary...(p 557) :

"Some of the shields that appear light and weak were much more effective at the time they were made than they appear to us with our knowledge of present-day weapons. Walllace, p 360, speaking of the Aru Islander's shields, says, 'Oner of the war shields was brought to us to look at. It was made of rattan and covered with cotton twist, so as to be both light, strong, and very tough. I should think it would resist an ordinary bullet' [italics are the author's]."

One last thought -- in armies in which commanders often purchased their own equipment, the natural preference for high quality often included the desire for added decoration, and those were the days in which they typically led troops into the thick of the fray.

Last edited by Philip; 12th October 2020 at 11:01 PM. Reason: biblio correction
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote