View Single Post
Old 12th July 2020, 05:58 AM   #9
Cathey

Default English Civil War Officer's Carbine Belt

Hi Guys

It is with great relief that I can now confirm that this item is authentic. I must thank Keith Dowen is Assistant Curator of Armour at the Royal Armouries in Leeds for authenticating this piece. I contacted Keith after reading his book Arms and Armour of the English Civil Wars. The belt's exact dating will require further reseach and on Keith's advice I have contacted the Victoria and Albert Museum textile department, however Covid-19 will impact on any response I am afraid.

What we can confirm is that it probably dates between 1620-1688. Aparently due to the addition of the Prince of Wales feathers badge it can only relate to two individuals: Charles Stuart who was Prince of Wales from 1638 to 1649 and James Francis Edward Stuart held the title from 1688 to 1701, although legally he ceased to be Prince of Wales later in 1688 when his father was deposed. It may, for example, have been made to celebrate the birth of James Edward Stuart in 1688.

Now all I have to do is wait, put the belt in a glass frame and find somewhere to display it.

Cheers Cathey and Rex
Cathey is offline   Reply With Quote