View Single Post
Old 5th January 2014, 04:10 AM   #4
kahnjar1

Hi Steve,
It is possible I suppose that the insert silver could be missing from your Dharia, but that would then suggest that the total silver has been removed and replaced. It does not look that way from the pics. In your group pic though, the one second from right appears to be missing the top rosette which would/should be at the top of the two strips joining at the top. This would suggest that the top has possibly been "remodelled" after having met with some sort of accident during it's life. The wooden hilted version I believe is a replacement, and not perhaps the original.
As far as the blades go, you will know that there are several different styles found on Dharia, and for that matter on Jambiya, and the variations I assume come about by different techniques used by the blade makers.
I personally do not necessarily believe that fullered blades predate those with raised central ribs, or those with no ribs at all. The fullered examples I have are I believe later than others in my collection. That is not to say that fullered blades did not appear earlier, but in my opinion would be 20th century in any case.
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote