View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2023, 04:53 AM   #6
DavidFriedman

Default Qajar

Hi, thanks Ariel.

The lance in the picture looks very similar in form to a Persian Qajar lance I used to own. Thinner blade and less diamondesque in cross section profile than this current one I have. The Qajar ones I find have the thin blades, reinforced edge, and smaller ball section between collar and blade.

My one has a solid ball that could act as a small mace it’s so hefty, even though small.

It could well be Mughal, but the one in the picture you show, I am convinced is a Qajar lance, possibly used by Sufi’s, or at least I saw an old photo of a Sufi carrying a similar styled one in your picture.

If I’m wrong, I’m definitely open to correction. Thanks.

Cheers,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
If you google “ indian spear images ” or mughal spear images” ( or something in that mode) you will find a lot of similar ones. Old site of Oriental_Arms had many. Unfortunately, the new one shortened their archives significantly.

As customary for all handmade weapons, there were some differences between items, but generally, the narrow spearhead and koftgari decoration tell the story.Metropolitan museum has several. Here is just one example.
DavidFriedman is offline   Reply With Quote