View Single Post
Old 1st January 2021, 12:55 PM   #18
urbanspaceman

Default nomenclature

Thank-you Shayde, an erudite and informed essay on the issue: it is much appreciated.
I agree with your opinion regarding 'munition's grade' as this was a ceremonial weapon that would probably never have been called upon to defend or attack but remained more than capable nonetheless but needed to look the part in Court, hence the finish.
I referred to Aylward in my suggestion the branches were for shell support but I agree there is little practical virtue in the design- on my version as well as yours; although they may have been efficacious on other hilts.
One thing I have noticed on all my smallswords, is that the ones that feature fully developed branches also effect a shorter grip, demanding finger/s in the loops, even with my hands - which are small.
NB
I ask in the off-shoot thread I started on colichemardes if anyone could detail the names of the various parts of the colichemarde blade - assuming such terms exist and are an accurate part of the vernacular - the top and bottom of the forte, or shoulders as I described them, for example. Also, as a fencer, you will be aware of the terminology of the upper and lower faces of a trefoil blade, and perhaps you might enlighten me in this regard to ensure I make accurate reference in future.
Perhaps you are not aware, but I entered onto this forum four years ago as a total novice seeking help in my research of the Shotley Bridge enterprise as a 'local history' project; although I have picked up a few bits and pieces here and there, I am still ignorant of much that cognoscenti may regard as commonplace: your description of the loss of the ricasso in the development of the trans rap is a perfect example.
NB2
One of the issues that I find interesting is the practice of re-hilting rapier blades with smallsword hilts... I have two very fine examples of obvious Portuguese provenance (see one below) and I am inclined to research this practice. I suppose these are the ultimate expression of a trans rap as they show a high regard for the quality and qualities of the blades which in both instances are slim (and German) and this inspires me to consider the thinking behind these transitions.
I know there are one or two residents of that exceptional country apparent on this forum and I wondered if they might care to illuminate the issue for me.
Attached Images

urbanspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote