View Single Post
Old 24th December 2020, 04:48 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Shayde ,
Actually it does seem that most do present with a degree of description, however your descriptions were most diligent and more important you added what research you had already completed. This is most valuable so as to not have everyone seeking roads you have already traveled, and they can focus on either corroborating or rebutting data presented with other supported material.

Too often a weapon is presented simply without any information asking for identification or comments with little or no text. Personally, it means a lot to me as there are so many weapons I do not have great knowledge on and I enjoy learning.

I had misread your comments on the blade and thought this was hollow ground as were most triangular (triple faced) blades for these swords. I have not been familiar with simple flat faced blades of this kind.

My impression was always that blades for short swords were intended to be 'fast' that is light and manueverable, and the 'hollowing' was to remove excessive stock thus lightening the blade, and strengthening.

It was mentioned that sword cane blades were triangular and the suggestion of being flat faced. As these were not intended for 'fencing' of any sort (despite Hollywood) that would seem more likely. It seems that actual blades intended for swords might be implemented for canes as well.

It would be interesting to see a thread on sword canes, an esoteric area of edged weapons I have never seen touched on here (reminders welcome).
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote