- why Kurdish ?
because our background or expertise, give us that answer,
with a margin of 0% error ... at least, as far as this dagger it's concerned

- why jambyia and not Khanjar ?
because our background or expertise, give us that answer,
with a margin of 0% error ... at least, as far as this dagger it's concerned
in fact, the shape of the dagger, it's too much characteristic,
no doubt about our affirmation
the appellation could change from country to country, e.g.
with roughly the same form, an A.E.U. dagger will be a khangar, when in Yemen, we will talk about "jambiya"

- what means "johar" ? it's a Farsi word for what Indian call "wootz"
wootz - definition of wootz , meaning of wootz
a famous type of steel from India , much admired for making sword blades.

the secret to be able to recognize, and not to be lost, with all those subtleties;
- read a lot
- watch a lot of pictures
and, start a collection
also to use the function "Search" in our forum

best regards

à +

Dom
Well Dom, it looks as though our friend Chregu already has a pretty good head start on starting a collection...
May i just make the suggestion that when a member asks a simple question that perhaps a simple answer is due, one with a touch less sarcasm.
Frankly, you have left me a bit confused by your answer as well. You state 'with roughly the same form, an A.E.U. dagger will be a khangar, when in Yemen, we will talk about "jambiya"' Firstly, can i assume that you mean the U.A.E.(United Arab Emirate) here, because i do not know what the A.E.U. is otherwise? If this is what you did mean how does this apply to a Kurdish Dagger? Kurdistan covers parts of Iran, Iraq, Turkey and Syria so it is neither A.E.U. or Yemen and does not fall neatly into this "rule".
Chregu reveals he is aware of wootz in his original post. So your elementary definition of the "famous type of steel" seems a bit unnecessary and condescending.
Please, let us all realize that we have many members, yourself included, who are attempting the very difficult practice of communicating in a common language that is not their own. Let's cut our members just a little more slack here and try to be truly helpful and informative on these forums. Answers such as "because our expertise says so" or "try reading more and starting a collection" will never be very well received and trying to find just one "proper" answer to this question through our search function will probably only lead to contradiction and confusion.
David is offline   Reply With Quote