View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2014, 03:26 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While Martin may claim no expertise in shashkas, I think he has brilliantly assessed this example, and excellent suggestion and presentation on the Ottoman motif.
I also claim no particular authority on these, but have of course been engaged in research on them on many occasions in certain degree. I would suggest perhaps that this blade may be from mid 19th into around 1870s and is likely Chechen. Reviewing Askhabov (2001, p.129) an example with blade having somewhat similar paneled fullering is from the aul of Dargo (I believe near Grozny).

I agree that this shashka has been refurbished, and it seems that the ornamentation on the scabbard mounts do appear to be 'copied' as well shown by Martin. I would suggest rather than necessarily being done in Turkey, this may have been completed in the industrious commerce in Tblisi, where many Transcaucasian artisans worked.

I agree also that the decorative design on the blade resembles the kind of fanciful and geometric devices seen on many blades of Chechen regions.
I was noting the several drilled or stamped punctions in the cartouche, and believe the makers in Dargo may have used these as a kind of coded signature if I understand correctly the circumstances there during the Murid Wars. That is of course hypothetical on my part.

Definitely an intriguing example!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote